Roanoke-Chowan Community College
- Ahoskie, NC
Roanoke-Chowan Community College, North Carolina
The Board of Trustees invites nominations and applications for the position of President of Roanoke-Chowan Community College (R-CCC). R-CCC is a comprehensive rural two-year public institution located in Ahoskie, North Carolina, is approximately two hours from the beautiful North Carolina coast, and is in close proximity to Norfolk, VA, Williamsburg, VA, and Raleigh-Durham, NC. The region boasts recreational activities that include east coast beaches, natural waterways and rivers, outdoor sporting experiences, and golfing. The president is expected to be an active, visible, engaged, and essential educational leader throughout R-CCC’s service area; one who takes proud ownership for the work done to advance the college in achieving the mission of R-CCC. The community is recognized as having a welcoming, and accepting culture.
Roanoke-Chowan Community College has a strong tradition of building from the past and improving the present as it moves toward meeting the educational and workforce training needs of tomorrow. The College enrolls 500 full-time and part-time students throughout the service area which includes Hertford, Bertie, and Northampton counties. R-CCC is an integral part of the region. Being in North Carolina, it has formal and informal relationships with major well know public and private universities. The presence of the steel industry, health systems, and three comprehensive high schools compliments a number of smaller manufacturers, and a significant and advanced agricultural industry.
Challenges and Opportunities:
The President of Roanoke-Chowan Community College will be a results-oriented, experienced, and inspiring leader who, in recognizing both challenges and opportunities, will:
- Articulate a shared vision for R-CCC and lead the College’s strategic planning process
- Identify and implement strategies and opportunities for increased enrollment
- Develop innovative approaches for improving student success and completion
- Understand and support the central role of teaching and learning and the academic program
- Provide effective oversight and leadership for compliance with the requirements of the College’s accreditation.
- Develop partnerships with business and industry that will address and meet local workforce needs, and strengthen existing K-12 partnerships.
- Ensure the fiscal credibility and stability of the College
- Serve as an active community leader who will enhance R-CCC’s visibility and presence throughout the service area.
Ideal Qualities and Characteristics:
Roanoke-Chowan Community College seeks an exceptional, experienced, and visionary leader who genuinely embraces the community college mission, and the community that R-CCC serves. Desirable qualities and characteristics include being a leader who is:
- Transformational and willing to take strategic risks, to advance the College in meeting the rapidly changing educational environment of the 21st Century,
- Skillful in leading an implementing a crisis management plan that in particular deals with the disruptions taking place in higher education today,
- Collaborative and a team-builder who is people-focused and establishes a strong rapport with all constituency groups,
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to shared governance,
- Inclusive, with a strong commitment to equity, diversity and social justice,
- Builds trust, displays transparency in the decision-making process and will exercise superb independent and insightful judgment,
- Decisive, and can confidently make difficult decisions and establish urgency for improvement,
- A data-driven educator, committed to academic excellence,
- Experienced in early college programs, working with K-12 systems and STEM programs.
- Fully aware of the critical nature and importance of the accreditation processes,
- Sensitive to the life challenges faced by community college students
- An entrepreneurial fundraiser,
- A fiscal steward with experience working with complex budgets, and has the experience and ability to ensure the fiscal stability of R-CCC.
- One who can demonstrate a basic understanding of community college funding and organization in North Carolina,
- Technologically savvy and capable of prioritizing technology needs.
- An outstanding communicator who will actively engage faculty and staff.
- A visible advocate for students, faculty, and staff, and one who understands how establish trust and enhance the morale of the institution.
- An ambassador to the community,
- A proven administrator who will work closely and effectively with a committed board of trustees.
- Earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution is highly preferred.
- Experience working with a rural college and community is highly preferred.
- Five years of senior level administrative experience in higher education.
Wednesday, August 26, 2020