Northland Pioneer College
- Holbrook, AZ
Northland Pioneer College (NPC) is driven by the mission to provide, support, and promote lifelong learning throughout its entire rural service area and beyond. NPC currently serves over 5,000 students annually throughout Navajo and Apache Counties on its four campuses and five remote centers. The 21,000 square-mile service area includes the tribal homelands of the Navajo, Hopi, and White Mountain Apache peoples and is governed by a five-member elected District Governing Board.
NPC is a rural community college in the heart of the Southwest, where the Colorado Plateau meets the White Mountains of northeastern Arizona. The culturally and geographically diverse region offers wide-open picturesque spaces, and is working hard to grow a healthy economy for future generations. The college utilizes high-quality technological facilities.
Northland Pioneer College is seeking an innovative, experienced, transparent, and empathetic leader who will work to support all students and especially advocate for the College’s rural and underrepresented populations.
Challenges and Opportunities:
- Provide student-focused leadership within the context of the pandemic and work collaboratively to develop a college-wide vision which is in the best interest of students and employees.
- Grow enrollment, and improve retention and completion, and provide academic and workforce offerings to best serve all students throughout the service area.
- Collaborate with all stakeholders, including Native American populations, to address inequalities and ensure greater access to higher education opportunities.
- Identify and develop alternative revenue sources.
- Evolve the College’s technological capabilities to provide stronger distance learning offerings.
- Cultivate robust relationships with the region’s K-12 school districts.
- Lead with transparency, attract and retain high-quality employees, and support the College’s diverse student population.
- Build retraining programs to aid in regional economic and demographic transitions.
- Impress upon the state legislature the financial challenges of rural community colleges struggling to provide workforce training required by area business, industry and employment partners.
- Supports the comprehensive community college and values the college’s academic programs.
- Has a demonstrated track record of fostering diverse, equitable, and inclusive working and learning environments.
- Exhibits a passion for student success, shows compassion, and assists students to overcome obstacles.
- An ethical, decisive, passionate, and honest leader, who wants to be at NPC with all its unique characteristics.
- Has a strong track record of providing visionary leadership through data-informed decision making, and has a demonstrated ability to take prudent risks, learn from failures, and adjust accordingly.
- Experience cultivating and enhancing diverse and creative educational and training partnerships among external stakeholders including, but not limited to, tribal and local governments, K-12 school districts (including Early College opportunities), other higher education institutions, and business communities to meet the changing needs of the region’s business, industry, and employment partners.
- Has a demonstrated ability to successfully manage large and complex budgets under the constraints of an expenditure-limit formula budgeting process and to identify alternative sources of revenue.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborating with students, faculty, staff, and administration and prioritizing shared governance.
- Understands the important role of technology in serving rural communities, and has supported the use of technology to expand student access to educational opportunities.
- Ability to work effectively with the state legislature.
- Experience providing oversight for regional and programmatic accreditation.
- Collaborates effectively with an elected governing board, assisting in the development of long-term strategic planning, direction, and vision.
- Contributes to institutional culture, with a focus on aligning NPC’s strategic plan to our mission, vision, and values.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution required with an earned doctorate strongly preferred.
- Extensive higher education administrative experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Demonstrated classroom teaching experience at a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
Friday, January 8, 2021