Legal Secretary - Palo Alto
Duties & Responsibilities
• Provides high-level secretarial and administrative support as required. • Coordinates and maintains effective office procedures and efficient work flow; complies with policies and procedures set by employer; establishes and maintains harmonious working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, clients, etc.
• Handles scheduling and travel arrangements. Schedules court appearances, depositions, arbitrations, mediations, client meetings and conference calls; arranges business itineraries and coordinates lawyers’ travel arrangements; processes travel reimbursements; maintains calendar and due dates for lawyers as required. • Organizes and coordinates flow of information. Sorts, reads and annotates incoming mail and documents as required - attaches appropriate file to facilitate necessary action; determines routing, signatures required, and maintains follow-ups. Answers phones and directs callers to appropriate persons as circumstances warrant. Receives and assists visitors.
• Types and composes general correspondence, memos, legal documents, faxes, reports, etc. from various sources (e.g., handwritten notes, tape dictation).
• Prepares communications outlined by lawyer in oral or written directions. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy. Correlates and edits materials submitted by others. Organizes material that may be presented to lawyers in draft format. Ensures that all correspondence or other documentation is dispatched in a timely manner (via mail, messenger, express delivery services, etc.)
• Prepares draft pleadings such as briefs, complaints, motions, subpoenas, summonses, using firm templates and information from attorneys. Prepares motion binders and special working binders. Coordinates multi-document filings in both state and federal courts, including E-filings.
• Establishes and maintains filing and records, in both hard copy and electronic formats. Files information in a timely manner. Retrieves information from files as requested. Sends files to storage on a periodic basis. Updates subscription books as required.
• Enters lawyers’ time on a daily basis and sends to accounting by monthend deadlines. Prepares client billing as required. • Researches and abstracts information and support data in preparation for meetings, work projects, and reports. • Creates and maintains up-to-date desk manual on specific instructions and responsibilities for the secretarial share.
• Takes action authorized by Attorneys or Office Manager using initiative and good judgment in handling matters. • Notifies appropriate parties the status of assigned attorneys; notifies Office Manager about availability to assist with overflow work.
• Timely and regular attendance. • Performs other duties as assigned
• High School diploma or equivalent is required.
• College degree preferred.
• Prior legal secretarial work experience required. Minimum of 8-10 years.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a high paced environment.
• Ability to prioritize, coordinate work, juggle multiple priorities and manage deadlines.
• Ability to maintain confidential information.
• Ability to manage workflow and delegate projects as necessary.
• Ability to think critically and analytically in a pressured environment.
• Ability to clearly and effectively communicate with various levels of staff within the organization.
• Ability to work productively and cooperatively with other employees.
• Ability to constantly learn new skills as they become necessary.
• Equipment: computer, duplicating machines, scanners.
• Systems: iManage, MS Office, Elite, Webview, Chrome River, CovReservation