Conflicts Counsel and Manager - SF
- San Francisco, CA
Conflicts Counsel and Manager – San Francisco, CA
We are working with a major AmLaw 100 law firm that seeks a highly motivated Conflicts Counsel & Manager for its San Francisco office. Ideal candidates will have experience in a law firm conflicts department. Law firm management is preferred, but they will also consider attorneys with informal supervisory experience.
- J.D. and bar membership in the jurisdiction where located are required; candidates for bar membership must be admitted (by waiver or exam) in accordance with the jurisdictional admission rules and requirements.
- 2-10+ years’ experience in a law firm conflicts department. They will also consider some in-house experience.
- Law firm management is preferred, but they will also consider attorneys with informal supervisory experience.
- Experience working with the Model Rules of Professional Conduct is required; familiarity with rules in jurisdictions where the Firm has an office, especially the District of Columbia, is preferred.
- Familiarity with corporate structure/affiliations and governance models in a global environment is required.
- Highly developed business research skills and legal research skills are required.
- Expertise with automated conflict checking systems and/or corporate research databases in a law firm environment is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish close working relationships within the department and with the Firm's lawyers and other administrative staff.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Strong sense of personal accountability for the success of the team and the Firm.
- Strong understanding of the larger environment of law firm risk and its mitigation.
- Excellent judgment, analytical skills, and written and oral communications skills.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Working very closely with the Deputy General Counsel:
- Manages the Conflicts lawyers and staff in San Francisco, with the goal of ensuring timely and accurate analysis and reduction of risk to the Firm.
- Works with the Conflicts Counsel and Manager in Washington, and with the Conflicts and AML Manager in London to manage Conflicts staff, including: supervising work schedules and leave; conducting team meetings; developing, memorializing and disseminating improvements to policies and procedures; recruiting and onboarding new hires in conjunction with the Deputy General Counsel; and providing evaluations; arranging and conducting training.
- Works with internal and external information technology professionals on software acquisition, implementation, and upgrades.
- Develops and tracks metrics of productivity and other key performance indicators for the team and proposes strategies to improve results.
- Assists with department or firmwide projects as requested.
- Accountable for robust conflicts processes; a thorough conflicts database; and accurate conflicts searches, and analysis performed by the team.
- Works closely with lawyers on conflicts of a highly confidential nature and demonstrates discretion with non-published information while ensuring availability of essential conflicts information.
- Clears conflicts for new lateral lawyer hires and as needed for new business.
- Drafts screening memos and implements and maintains screens in relevant software tool as needed.
- Reviews and comments upon Outside Counsel Guidelines, engagement letters, and waivers as needed.
- At times, serves as the Firm’s Watch List Administrator by managing the trading compliance watch list database and assisting with compliance questions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, salary is flexible.
Prestigious law firm provides great environment and working atmosphere.
To hear more (confidentially of course), please email your resume along with salary expectations.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Tuesday, November 19, 2019