Legal Support Manager - Oakland
- Oakland, CA
Legal Support Manager – Oakland
One of our top law firms in the Bay Area is seeking a Legal Support Manager in its Administration Department. This is an exempt position reporting to the Director of Administration and is located in the Firm’s Oakland office.
This position reports to the Firm’s Director of Administration and is the direct supervisor of the Firm-wide Secretary and Paralegal Groups, and Oakland Office Services Group. Position requires management of 30 employees.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
Essential Functions Relating to Secretary and Paralegal Management
- Manage, along with the Director of Administration and in coordination with the Human Resources Department, Firm-wide recruiting and hiring of secretaries and paralegals, with duties including but not limited to identifying job-posting venues, drafting postings, tracking and reviewing responses, managing recruiter contracts and contacts, and conducting staff screening interviews;
- Manage Firm-wide secretaries and paralegals, in consultation with the Director of Administration, with duties including but not limited to coordinating workflow, reviewing timesheets and vacation requests, managing employee performance, and conducting secretary and paralegal annual reviews;
- Work with secretaries and paralegals to develop individual professional development goals and monitor progress towards these goals;
- Plan and implement legal secretary and paralegal training and professional development in conjunction with the Firm’s trainer;
- Coordinate paralegal workflow among Firm Practice Groups to maintain efficiency and ensure that paralegals meet billable hour requirements;
- Work closely with attorneys and administrative departments to identify and implement best practices in providing the Firm with secretary and paralegal support;
- Continuously assess secretary and paralegal staffing levels and make recommendations to the Director of Administration regarding staffing-level adjustments;
- Act as a liaison on behalf of secretaries and paralegals to the Firm’s Departments of Human Resources, IT, Marketing, and Finance, and work with administrative directors as necessary;
- Track paralegals’ internal and external CLE education hours to ensure that employees remain compliant with State Bar requirements;
- Coordinate with the Department of Human Resources regarding secretary and paralegal orientation;
- Ensure that secretaries and paralegals comply with Firm guidelines, standards and practices;
Essential Functions Relating to Oakland Office Services Group Personnel
- Manage, along with the Director of Administration and in coordination with the Human Resources Department, recruiting and hiring of Oakland Office Services Group personnel, with duties including but not limited to identifying job-posting venues, drafting postings, tracking and reviewing responses, managing recruiter contracts and contacts, and conducting staff screening interviews;
- Manage Oakland Office Services Group personnel in consultation with the Director of Administration, with duties including but not limited to coordinating workflow, reviewing timesheets and vacation requests, managing employee performance, and conducting annual reviews;
- Work with Oakland Office Services Group personnel to develop individual professional development goals and monitor progress towards these goals;
- Manage Oakland office services operations, which includes reception, hospitality, mail, messenger services and copy room operations;
- Plan and manage certain office events;
- Manage Oakland office facilities, which includes economically using office space, overseeing facility maintenance, managing internal moves, and liaising with building management;
- Oversee the purchasing of equipment, furniture and supplies and conduct inventory control;
- Ensure that Oakland Office Services Group personnel comply with Firm guidelines, standards and practices;
Overall Essential Functions
- Maintain an “open door” policy for secretaries, paralegals, and Oakland Office Services Group personnel for coaching and counseling;
- Travel among all firm's offices;
- Maintain a regular, reliable and punctual on-site schedule;
- Work extended hours as needed;
- Perform special projects as assigned by the Director of Administration;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during stressful, high-energy situations involving frequently changing priorities;
- Maintain a professional network and key resource contacts;
- Demonstrate excellent customer support;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with all Firm employees; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
The following skills and qualifications are required unless otherwise noted:
- A minimum of three (3) years of legal management experience; managing at least 15-20+ people.
- At least three (3) years of legal secretary and/or paralegal experience required, and five (5) or more years preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete numerous tasks while under time constraints.
- Ability to provide information with courtesy and tact while safeguarding confidentiality.
- Ability to manage staff who fulfill a variety of job roles.
- Concise and accurate written communication skills.
- Confident and precise verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to pitch in wherever and whenever needed.
- Project management skills.
- Customer service attitude and demeanor.
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, salary is flexible.
Prestigious law firm provides great environment and working atmosphere.
To hear more (confidentially of course), please email your resume along with salary expectations.
*Referral fee applies only if and when the candidate referred to us is hired by the firm seeking candidates.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Friday, May 31, 2019