Manager of Professional Development
Professional Development Department
The Manager of Professional Development, will work alongside the Chief Legal Personnel officer and Managing Partners for Legal Personnel (MPLPs) on all aspects of attorney professional development. Develop, implement, and lead firm wide attorney professional development strategies.
· Identify Associate, Counsel, and Partner career development needs, and design and manage the implementation of programs relating to lawyer career development.
· Provide support to the MPLPs with regards to associate needs including staffing and utilization. Provide ongoing analysis of workloads and track skills and experiences needed to make recommendations to staffing needs. Manage and track the assignment of Associates to Vice Chairs for Litigation and Assigning Partners.
· Create and maintain relationships within the Firm at all levels, establishing a reputation as a trusted advisor for career advice and guidance.
· Liaise with Professional Development teams in other offices on Professional Development training and initiatives.
· Meet and welcome Washington Associates to the Firm and provide them with resources available through the Professional Development Department.
· Provide confidential advice and guidance to lawyers of varying levels of seniority on all aspects of career growth and development, including career planning and management, time and project management, work/life balance, transitions to/from leaves, and potential next steps in their professional careers.
· In collaboration with the Manager for Legal Personnel, oversee administration of performance evaluation processes for Associates and Counsel. Review, edit, and prepare evaluations for distribution.
· Work with the Associate Advisory Committee to address career and general professional development feedback from Associates and to update and enhance new Associate orientation and lateral attorney integration training programs.
· Manage the exit interview process firm-wide.
· Oversee Covington Academy, skills-based training, as well as communication skills and writing coaching programs firm-wide.
· Manage multi-year Associate mentoring program for the Washington office and advise other offices on mentoring programs.
· Develop and maintain annual budget for firm-wide Professional Development initiatives and training; manage monthly reporting and variance analysis; administer department contracts.
· Manage/Supervise the Professional Development team in the Washington office.
· Monitor current trends and best practices in legal talent and professional development; implement new innovations, as appropriate, to ensure the Firm’s efforts are innovative and cutting edge
· A minimum of five years of broad-based career development experience. Significant experience in legal, consulting, or other professional services organizations, preferred.
· Demonstrated success establishing, developing, and managing robust career development functions in a national or international, multi-office environment.
· Expert understanding of best practices in professional development and career development.
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively to create consensus-based support for strategies and processes.
· Passion for driving change and delivering innovative solutions.
· Excellent written and verbal skills.
· Highly organized and self-directed approach to work with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Impeccable attention to detail.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Sound judgment.
· Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree in organizational development, human resources, social sciences, a related field, or J.D. preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, salary is flexible.
Prestigious law firm provides great environment and working atmosphere.
To hear more (confidentially of course), please email your resume along with salary expectations.
Recruiting / Account Management
www.alchemylegal.com • [email protected]