Litigation Secretary - East Palo Alto
- Palo Alto, CA
Litigation Secretary - East Palo Alto, CA
We are working with a global law firm that currently has an excellent full-time employment opportunity in the Litigation Department of its Silicon Valley office. This position supports up to three or more attorneys in a secretarial capacity. Provides a wide range of administrative, clerical and document processing services in the Intellectual Property and Litigation departments. Candidate should also be flexible to work overtime as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain legal files (both paper & electronic), organize and file documents in designated order, as well as prepare, keyboard, enter, proofread and process legal and administrative correspondence.
- Process time entry, open new matters, draft engagement letters and audit responses, make travel arrangements, process reimbursement expenses, maintain calendar, collate information, write reports, prepare agendas, review and preparation of billing invoices, and other administrative duties, as needed by the department.
- Manage phone lines for supported attorneys, fielding calls and conveying messages as necessary. Communicate with clients, opposing counsel, courts, and liaisons.
- Prepare and e-file documents, adhering to legal document standards to ensure proper format and completeness for court acceptance.
- Update case information, scan documents, prepare answers, and conduct research.
- Manage document deliveries and track final executed documentation. Assist in preparing closing transcripts and legal documents to database for litigation transactions.
- Perform receptionist tasks as backup to regular receptionist. Assist with overflow work and other projects as assigned.
- Performs overflow typing, filing, or photocopying as time permits and as requested by other attorneys.
- Handle State and Federal court filings, including e-filings.
- Manage electronic case files, updating litigation binders and preparing and maintaining discovery and other document tracking charts.
- Maintain and update foreign and U.S. trademark prosecution files and case materials both in physical files and in electronic records management systems.
- Prepare and transmit standardized correspondence relating to trademark prosecution to clients and attorneys including reporting letters, invoices, search reports and status reports.
- Review the docket daily to track all deadlines associated with trademark prosecution and assist with the daily clearance of deadlines.
- Maintain database of standardized form letters and assist with client invoices.
- Prepare status reports for attorneys, paralegals and clients as needed.
- Assist in quality assurance review of trademark filings and correspondence by noting any errors observed during the normal course of records maintenance duties.
- Assist in checking and updating the status of trademark cases with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and foreign trademark offices when appropriate.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Requires 5 or more years of experience as a legal secretary, working in a business law practice with exposure to Intellectual Property litigation.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
Skills & Competencies
- Established understanding of Intellectual Property litigation laws as they relate to individuals, partnerships and corporations. Familiarity with California Code of Civil Procedure and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure rules for court document filings.
- Substantive knowledge of State and Federal court and CM/ECF e-filing procedures.
- Knowledge of U.S. and foreign trademark prosecution procedures.
- Comprehension of a variety of legal court documents, including complaints, answers, rulings, judgments, affidavits, motions, appeals, table of contents/authorities, subpoenas, court dockets, reports, memos and correspondence.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, as well as document management and other office technologies. Expertise in e-filing.
- Strong ability to maintain high standards, use good judgment and seek out ways to contribute and anticipate needs.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills and the ability to collaborate well in a team.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk from workstation, to desk or to go to various offices to retrieve assignments. This position may also be sedentary and require the employee to sit for extended periods of time.
- Requires manual dexterity to dial a telephone, enter data into a computer, handle objects and operate tools.
- Some filing is required, and this would entail the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Position also requires the ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, salary is flexible.
Prestigious law firm provides great environment and working atmosphere.
To hear more (confidentially of course), please email your resume along with salary expectations.
Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist
Monday, February 17, 2020