Patent Secretary - Palo Alto
- Palo Alto, CA
Patent Legal Secretary - Palo Alto, CA
We are working with a top law firm that seeks an experienced Legal Secretary with patent experience to join its team. This non-exempt position performs full secretarial and administrative duties for attorneys and patent agents under minimal supervision. This position requires the individual to perform with a high degree of independent judgment and discretion. Requires a thorough knowledge of organizational procedures and precedents.
- Perform secretarial functions associated with firm administrative tasks, including processing new client/matter requests, client bills, time reports and expense reports.
- Takes dictation and transcribes, composes correspondence for client-related matters.
- Performs word processing of drafts, revisions and final documents for client-related matters, including correspondence, memoranda, bills, timesheets and project work, as needed. This includes proofreading and redlining work for accuracy - copy, format, etc.
- Preparation of prosecution filings for review and approval by attorneys/agents (including preparation of IDSs, terminal disclaimers, restriction requirements, shell amendments, etc.)
- Handles filing of all Foreign/U.S. applications through PCT Easy/EFS Web and keeping up with upgrades relating to electronic filing systems.
- Monitors client files and deadlines in PAIR and Pattsy Wave.
- Preparation and filing of assignment recordation on-line with the USPTO. Calculates filing cost estimates.
- Copies, distributes, sends (electronically and/or via mail, courier or express service), files and otherwise handles completed work.
- Coordinates travel arrangements. Maintains physical and electronic files, contacts, and maintains dockets of cases for attorney.
- Coordinates meetings and appointments, and properly receives clients/guests, as requested; keeps appointment calendar for attorney (including hearings, court appearances and other commitments).
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail.
- Provides secretarial assistance to summer associates, visiting attorneys and attorneys whose secretaries are absent. Performs other related duties as needed or assigned.
- The legal secretary reports directly to the Office Administrator or HR representative, and indirectly to assigned attorneys.
- At least three to five years of experience with patent prosecution work and a strong working knowledge of U.S. Patent and Trademark rules, processes and procedures.
- The secretary should possess working knowledge of general office procedures, as well as, strong familiarity with legal terminology related to Intellectual Property (IP).
- Must be knowledgeable in the following IP related technologies or similar technologies: PCT Easy, EFS Web, PAIR, Pattsy Wave, PatentHunter, CIP - Patent Annuity Service, USPTO, WIPO and Espace.net websites.
- Working knowledge and experience with the Firm’s technology and applications strongly preferred (DeskSite; Chrome River; Carpe Diem).
- Prior experience with handling expense reports, client bills, multi-line phones and conflict-checking forms, as well as working with Interaction, or another CRM database, is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience supporting more than one attorney is required.
- The legal secretary must possess advanced word processing/computer skills utilizing a variety of software programs including, but not limited to, MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- The individual must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Strong phone etiquette, attention to detail and follow through skills are required.
- Must be knowledgeable with legal filing and record-keeping practices as relevant to IP.
- Must be highly organized and able to successfully multi-task and meet set deadlines.
- Strong customer service skills, ability to be flexible and work effectively as part of a team is required.
- The legal secretary should possess a high school diploma.
- Two years of college or equivalent preferred but not required.
Must be able to move around the office up to 15% of the time to make copies, fax, file, etc. Remains stationary at least 85% of the time. This position operates computers and other office productivity machines (e.g., fax machine, copier, printer) on a regular basis. Occasionally required to move documents or files weighing up to 15 lbs. This position requires constant communication and exchange of information with the firm attorneys, clients and staff. This position must be able to inspect and observe information on a computer screen at least 80% of the time.
Office Environment. Overtime required.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, salary is flexible.
Prestigious law firm provides great environment and working atmosphere.
To hear more (confidentially of course), please email your resume along with salary expectations.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Friday, September 13, 2019