Real Estate Paralegal - Chicago
- Chicago, IL
REAL ESTATE/REAL ESTATE LAND USE PARALEGAL, Chicago, IL
Major law firm currently has a position available in our Chicago office for a full-time paralegal in the Real Estate/Real Estate Land Use practice area. Qualified applicants will possess an undergraduate degree and/or a paralegal certificate as well as five or more years of experience. Excellent written and oral communication skills and proficiency with MS Office suite are required. The ideal candidate will be detail oriented, show initiative, possess strong organizational skills, be enthusiastic, and work well independently. The person selected for this position must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
Real Property – Due Diligence Responsibilities:
- Matters of Title
- Orders and reviews a title commitment policy, or date down endorsement; responds to title company inquiries on structure of transaction.
- Oversees title company activities.
- Reviews and summarizes Schedule B title, prepares list of title objections and works with Title Company to resolve objections.
- Orders and reviews survey, prepares list of survey objections, and works with surveyor to resolve objections.
- Reviews legal description for the property.
- Prepares drafts of deeds, deeds of release and other basic real estate documents for recordation.
- Maintains liaison with county and municipal entities to obtain zoning letters and permits and reviews ordinances for requirements.
- Arranges for discharge/satisfaction of deed trust/mortgage and obtains payoff figures.
- Obtains flood certificates for the property.
- Obtains reliance letter for Phase I and Phase II environmental reports.
- Maintains liaison with client to obtain pertinent facts and documents.
- Researches current recordation and filing requirements for various local and state government entities.
Real Property – Due Diligence Responsibilities: Purchaser/Seller
- Drafts documents for purchase sale transactions (i.e., UCC financing statements and amendments, deeds, releases, affidavits, estoppel certificates and other certificates resolutions, tenant notice letter, FIRPIX, and other closing documents) and maintains liaison with opposing counsel regarding changes and amendments to documents.
- Obtains and assembles exhibits to transaction documents.
- Obtains corporate organizational documents, and certificates of good standing.
- Reviews corporate documents for prohibitions against borrowings, power of decision-making bodies, and so forth.
- Works directly with client, surveyor and Title Company.
- Orders or performs public records searches of the parties, including searches for judgments, tax liens, litigation, bankruptcy and UCC filings.
- Reviews tenant roll and verify rentals, works with property
- Management Company to obtain information required for exhibits under transaction documents.
- Prepares SNDAs and works with tenant to obtain signatures on SNDAs.
- Purchase Money Loan Closing and Post-Closing
- Coordinates various aspects of closing including assembly and preparation of documents for signature; closing arrangements with title companies and distribution of closing materials.
- Assists with closing ensuring receipt of all required signatures.
- Coordinates recording of real estate documents and filing of UCC financing statements.
- Prepares and reviews complex transaction binders.
- Coordinates with all parties concerning post-closing questions or documents.
- Follows-up on recorded/filed documents and title policy.
Real Property – Miscellaneous
- Prepares and files documents necessary for the organization or incorporation of business entities and any other document which may be filed at the Secretary of State.
Real Property –
- Foreclosures Orders and reviews title commitment and exceptions documents.
- Reviews survey.Schedules sale date and corresponding deadlines.Prepares appointment of successor trustee, publication, notice letter, IRS notice letter, trustee’s deed and other sale documents.
- Engages and coordinates with successor trustee on executing documents.Attends foreclosure sale and record trustee’s deed.
- Prepares judicial foreclosure documentation for Illinois foreclosure sale.
- Maintains liaison with client re status of sale process.Acts as Successor Trustee (in limited matters).
- Follows up on post-foreclosure matters, i.e. obtain policy and recorded documents.
- Construction Reviews and obtains relevant documents located at city building department, including city meeting minutes, building applications, inspection reports, permits and drawings.
- Identifies liens filed by contractor and/or subcontractors through review of county records.
- Zoning Reviews and analyzes zoning ordinances to determine permitted uses, setbacks and notice requirements.
- Researches zoning ordinances for municipalities throughout the country.
- Communicates with clients to obtain necessary documentation and information for zoning applications.
- Prepares zoning relief applications.Coordinates notices including mailings, posting of signage and newspaper publications.
- Monitors zoning applications from introduction through to passage with city legislation.
- Develops and maintains working relationship with city officials and municipal employees.
- Licensing Communicates with clients to obtain necessary documentation and information for various business licenses.
- Prepares licensing applications.
- Meets with city officials regarding licensing applications.
- Monitors licensing applications and follows-up with city officials, as needed, to ensure applications are processed and issued in a timely manner.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills so as to be able to work well with employees at all levels within the organization and maintain all information in the strictest of confidence.
- Required to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
- Must have ability to read, write, and communicate fluent English; ability to compose documents in the appropriate business style using correct grammar and spelling; ability to communicate clearly using proper grammar and diction over the telephone.
- Must be detail oriented and have excellent organizational skills; ability to balance multiple projects, work independently and have strong time management skills, as well as prioritize workload.
- Must have ability to reason and apply common sense understanding to situations encountered.
- Ability to process routine daily functions while being able to resolve sensitive issues and complex assignments utilizing above average critical thinking skills.
- The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee in order for him or her to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. These include being both mobile and stationary throughout the work day, having the ability to transport 20 pounds and being able to operate a computer and other business equipment found in the office.Ability to work overtime as needed.Ability to travel on occasion as required.
Major law firm is a large, full service, multi-state firm with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Southern Illinois, and Washington D.C. At our law firm, our behavior and the expectations we have of ourselves are guided by the values that we hold in the highest regard: integrity, a passion for excellence, a focus on serving the client, a value of diversity, innovation, creativity, trust, and loyalty. Within the Firm, we value each other as people and colleagues.
In addition to the exceptional working environment and a competitive salary, Major law firm provides the following benefit options to qualifying employees:
- Medical and Vision Insurance through United Healthcare
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance & ADD policies
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Firm Paid 401(k) & Profit Sharing plans
- Transportation Benefit
- Section 125 Plan (Pre-tax premiums, dependent care, and medical reimbursement)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Firm Sponsored Wellness Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Long Term Care
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, salary is flexible depending on the candidate (they told us to send over candidates with salary expectations)
Nationwide Legal Recruitment and Placement
Monday, November 19, 2018