General Manager

Marin Municipal Water District - Corte Madera, CA

In 1912, the Marin Municipal Water District received its charter as the first municipal water district in California. Today, MMWD is a public agency that provides high-quality drinking water to 186,000 people in a 147-square-mile area of south and central Marin County. Two unique features of MMWD’s water system stand out: the drinking water provided is of high quality, and the area’s unique geography and topography means its distribution system is very complex. About 75% of MMWD’s water comes from 21,635 acres of protected watershed on Mt. Tamalpais, and in the grassy hills of west Marin. The remaining 25% of MMWD’s water is imported from the Sonoma County Water Agency.

Under policy guidance from the Board, the General Manager is responsible for providing leadership and management of the overall activities and operations of the Marin Municipal Water District to provide customers with the highest quality water possible while maximizing water use efficiency, keeping rates affordable, providing excellent customer service, and serving as a responsible steward of the watershed, sustaining it for future generations. He/She develops, implements and executes short and long term plans, policies, budgets and strategies and supervises the preparation of operational, organizational, and fiscal reports. Other essential duties include: 

  • Establishing and promoting a professional work environment built on respect, civility, integrity and excellence
  • Ensuring the selection and retention of highly competent, effective, and dedicated managers and staff
  • Encouraging innovation and employee engagement while fostering a creative work environment
  • Overseeing the establishment of an executive staff performance and accountability program
  • Monitoring the District’s labor negotiations and labor management efforts
  • Maintaining positive relationships with local and regional water utility partners
  • Communicating effectively with District employees and Board members
  • Leading outreach and communications with the local community including customers, citizen groups, thought leaders, and advisory bodies.

The ideal candidate will be a recognized expert in managing a municipal water agency or similar utility who is familiar with water quality, water use efficiency, project management, engineering, human resources, environmental compliance (including CEQA/NEPA requirements), fisheries, watershed, and natural resource management. Experience with watershed recreation and open space management is desired. In addition, he/she will demonstrate significant expertise and competence with public financing, financial management, and long-range planning relevant to a large, complex public water utility and experience working with unions. The General Manager will need to have the ability to work with a fairly diverse and dedicated board, including meeting with them on a regular basis. Finally, the ideal candidate will have an engaging personality;a collaborative, inclusive approach to work; and a proven ability to mentor and support employee development.

Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field and a minimum of 10 years of experience at a senior level in public management with at least 5 years as a chief executive or assistant chief executive.

Apply on-line at www.alliancerc.com by August 10, 2018. For questions, contact Cindy Krebs or Sherrill Uyeda at (562) 901-0769 or via email at ckrebs@alliancerc.com or suyeda@alliancerc.com. EEO/ADA

Salary Range: $230,000 to $275,000 per year, DOQ.



Posted On: Monday, July 9, 2018



Apply to this job
  • Cover Letter
  • Supplemental Information Questions
  • How Did You Learn About This Position?
  • Social Media Accounts (Optional)
  • Equal Employment Opportunity Identification (Optional)