Senior Software Engineer
- Yonkers, NY
We are an independent, nonprofit organization that works side by side with consumers for truth, transparency, and fairness in the marketplace. We use our rigorous research, end user insights, journalism, and policy expertise to inform purchase decisions, improve the products and services that businesses deliver, and drive regulatory and fair competitive practices.
The Senior Software Engineer will be a part of one of the technology teams responsible
for designing and building software components for the delivery of web applications to millions of end users. This role involves working hand-in-hand with business units to build state of the art scalable and robust web applications that are consumer centric.
- Design, develop, implement, and test software modules and other technology components for related customer-facing web properties using agile software development practices.
- Develop and implement payment, billing and/or dynamic content delivery systems.
- Analyze business requirements, provide development estimates and feedback, and determine implementation/execution approaches.
- Work with other software engineers, database developers, infrastructure, operations and QA teams to design and implement quality software solutions.
- Support, troubleshoot, monitor and optimize existing software systems.
- Help streamline software development by contributing to the implementation of a continuous integration, continuous deployment, automating manual processes, and eliminating defects.
Communication Skills – Demonstrates ability to speak, write and present information in a clear, concise and compelling manner that is tailored to a particular audience.
Interpersonal – Strong ability to forge solid working relationships with colleagues across the organization. Desire and commitment to establish a partnering and trusting relationship with internal and external people.
Time Management – Demonstrates ability to accomplish tasks by established deadlines; demonstrates discipline in using time management tools and techniques. Able to use time efficiently despite competing demands and priorities.
Collaboration - Participates and collaborates to solve issues that will benefit the organization and its customers; fosters commitment to team projects and values the contribution of team members to the overall team’s success
Multitasking - Demonstrates ability to work on multiple tasks in parallel, switching attention to competing tasks as needed.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related fields with three years of relevant experience, or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related fields and five years of relevant experience in lieu.
- Extensive experience in software development, modern design patterns and web technologies under e-commerce enabled environments using multi-tier architectures.
- Experience with development environments that leverage Java, Spring framework, or Ruby on Rails, application servers, multi-threading.
- Experience with Web Services, REST and API design. Experience with cloud services such as Amazon AWS or Heroku a plus.
- Experience with relational/SQL databases, ORM and data abstraction technologies. Knowledge of No-SQL databases, MapReduce, or Hadoop a plus.
- Working knowledge of Unix environments, including shell scripting such as Perl or Python.
- Working knowledge of working with Docker Containers.
- Experience working with Content Management Systems and understanding their features.
- Agile tools and methodologies, including continuous deployment and rapid integration.
- Experience in software architecture and design, documentation, developing and maintaining large-scale, high-visibility systems.
- Ability to solve complex technical problems and effectively communicate solutions to system architects, peers and management.
- Experience with high volume, high-availability applications and systems.
- Proven track record in developing high quality applications on schedule in a fast-paced development environment, high written and personal communication skills.
- Experience with Payment processing, PCI DSS, and OWASP secure web coding a plus.
Monday, July 22, 2019