Professoinal Development Manager: Top Law Firm
- Los Angeles, CA
Buckingham Search is partnering with a multi-billion-dollar global law firm to find a Training and Development Manager. This role will focus on creating training for lawyers in many different facets.
The Professional Development Manager will be based in Los Angeles and have primary responsibility for Los Angeles and Century City offices. The Manager will report to the Director of Professional Development. As part of the firmwide Learning & Development team, the Manager is charged with creating and implementing programs and projects both regionally and firmwide, and working with the firmwide team to further the long-term professional development of the Firm's attorneys.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the implementation of the firmwide strategic direction for attorney education and development consistent with the Firm's objectives.
- Manage the development and delivery of substantive and skills training programs, that meet professional, business, and client service goals.
- Oversee data collection and develop reports to help track the quality and quantity of attorney training opportunities.
- Work with the Director, Chief Learning & Development Officer, and the Training & Professional Development Committee and other relevant colleagues and committees to further attorney training and development.
- Produce professional development resources.
Orientation and Integration
- Collaborate and work with the Director and other colleagues in delivering and continually enhancing attorney orientation programs.
- Work with the Director in supporting the Recruiting Committee, as needed, in coordinating and implementing summer associate training.
- Share responsibility for the tracking of California lawyers' CLE compliance; communicate with California-admitted lawyers regarding their compliance status; work with the Director and Office of General Counsel to help ensure 100% compliance for California-admitted lawyers firmwide.
- Work with the Chief Learning & Development Officer and Director as they work with the Committee on Assignment and Compensation of Associates to respond to training and development needs identified in the semi-annual review of associates.
- Help implement support networks for mentors, including mentoring training resources and meetings as needed.
Career Development Programming and Counseling
- Promote a work environment that helps attorneys reach their highest potential.
- Assist the Director in counseling attorneys on career development issues, as needed.
Lawyer Outreach and Engagement
- Conduct ongoing formal and informal outreach to individual lawyers, Local Practice Group Heads, other key leaders, and relevant committees to maintain a practice of continuous needs assessment and to facilitate a dialogue on matters of professional development.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in Learning and Development, law, or related field
- A minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience
- Ability to format graphs, charts, and other visual methods of presenting information.
- Ability to work effectively across offices and time zones
- Availability to travel weekly between our LA and Century City locations and occasional travel to other locations or firm offices
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Sound project management skills
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Juris Doctor degree
- California practice experience or familiarity with California law
- Adult education and program design experience
- Familiarity with CLE rules and regulations
- Experience with a global or national law firm
Tuesday, March 16, 2021