AVP, Assistant Controller
- Chicago, IL
If you excel in an ever changing environment due to regular acquisitions resulting in rapid company growth, this may be an opportunity for you! The Controller of this publicly-traded insurance powerhouse is looking for a partner in crime to help guide a team of ~15 people.
With a beautiful office nestled in the heart of the Chicago loop, this company has all of its competitors adopting their proven best practices. If you want to work for a company that is always first to the market with new products, leads the charge in innovation, and gives back to its employees tenfold, let's talk!
Scope of Responsibilities
- Provide leadership to the accounting team and for the day-to-day accounting operations. Ensure an accurate and timely daily, monthly, quarterly and year end close. Responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financials statements.
- Ensure the design, implementation, and maintenance of internal controls relevant to the preparation and fair presentation of financial statements are free from material misstatement.
- Establish and maintain disclosure controls and procedures and effective internal control over financial reporting for the Company.
- In partnership with other finance leaders, ensure transparent results and reporting to management and executive leadership. Oversee the preparation of monthly and quarterly management and regulatory reports.
- Responsible for driving key process improvements and serve as the subject matter expert on the accounting systems and related integration activities.
- Work closely with both internal and external auditors to ensure clean and timely quarterly and annual audits. Operate as the main point of contact for regulators on audits and financial examinations.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible accounting, external reporting, and operational management experience in a complex insurance or financial services organization
- Demonstrated statutory and/or GAAP accounting knowledge including preparation of annual statements, combined annual statements, and supplements
- Experienced in Microsoft Excel, with the ability to use complex formulas and pivot tables to manipulate data
- Demonstrated project management experience, problem-solving skills and an ability to evaluate processes/procedures to identify opportunities for improvement
- Ability to work with all levels of the organization and outside partners, driving initiatives and projects to desired outcomes
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration or finance; CPA required
Monday, March 16, 2020