Deputy Head of Internal Audit
- Chicago, IL
Reporting to the Head of Internal Audit US Region (Head of IA), the Deputy Head of IA US Region (Deputy) is a seasoned and senior executive with deep financial services and risk management experience. The Deputy will play a critical role in leading US internal audit for the company. This role will provide strategic leadership to establish company US IA’s mandate, governance, and corporate responsibilities enabling a best-in-class internal audit function.
Specifically, the Deputy will partner with the Head of IA and will be responsible for the following areas:
- Support the Head of IA in decision-making and management as it relates to company US IA plan and managing the function in accordance with the company US IA charter and the professional standards for internal auditing promulgated by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Serve as a strategic partner and advisor to the Head of IA and US IA leadership team on the execution of the annual plan, strategy and transformation initiatives, and issue management and remediation.
- Partner with the IA leadership team on reporting to the Audit Committee and other Board and Executive forums. Oversee the identification of key messages from audit reports and monitoring activities and assist in preparing clear communication of topics in committee materials.
- Act as the Head of IA’s delegate on audit review and approval processes. Attend forums, committees, and meetings with management, Global Internal Audit, and Directors as needed as the Head of IA’s delegate.
Strategy & Innovation:
- Oversee the identification, development and implementation of large-scale IA process improvement initiatives and special project requests.
- Advise IA leadership team on emerging and innovative internal audit practices to foster innovation and streamline activities and procedures / delivery models to improve efficiency.
- Oversee the identification, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement activities for key departmental software applications (e.g., GRC platforms, analytics tools, etc.).
- Utilize technology as an enabler to drive efficiency and effectiveness across the lines of business through: GRC platforms; Collaboration Tools; Analytics; Intelligent Automation and Reporting & Dashboarding.
- Partner with company IA Professional Practices Center to assess current skills and capabilities against current and future needs, benchmarking information necessary to maintain an efficient and cost-effective function.
- Advise on the organizational design and structure of the function as necessary to meet growth projections of the Bank and internal audit function.
- Oversees the business continuity plan for company US IA. Leads assessment of internal and external risks to its operations, as well as its response plan. Responsible for the ongoing maintenance of the plan.
- Partner with the Head of IA to develop annual financial budgets and projected FTE needs for the IA function, including monitoring actual versus budget performance and reports results to internal audit leadership and other appropriate internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee the design, development, and delivery of timely, accurate and impactful internal management reporting for IA Leadership.
- Oversee the management of third parties – e.g., on-boarding, off-boarding, compliance management, expense management, etc. and partner with relevant teams to monitor performance and adherence with service-level agreements (as appropriate).
- Provide leadership over performance management – e.g., execution of performance management, calibration, and compensation processes.
- Partner with company IA Professional Practices Center to monitor and report on the function’s compliance with established training requirements, inclusive of third-party requirements.
- Oversees the identification, development, and retention of talent with requisite risk knowledge and capabilities; develops and owns the hiring and retention plan, coordinating with relevant teams.
- Liaison with and represent IA to regulatory agencies, including overseeing all critical regulatory matter affairs and high risk and regulatory related areas.
- CPA and/or MBA and/or finance and/or accounting degree
- Internal audit leadership experience with CIA /CISA certifications preferred, but not required
- 15+ years of experience in large foreign banks or financial services companies or corporate and audit firm (i.e., Big 4)
- Experience in leading large scale strategic and transformation initiatives
- Experience in working with banking regulators such as FDIC, Federal Reserve, and State Banking Department as well as external auditors
- Executive presence with excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to deliver difficult messages and present information in a succinct and concise way, including at Board level meetings
- Excellent interpersonal and people leadership skills to set the tone within internal audit and attract top talent within and outside the Bank
- Excellent analytical skills combined with an ability to see the bigger picture that helps key partners take corrective actions that sustainably mitigate identified risks and underlying root causes
Wednesday, November 22, 2023