Field Service Engineer
Catalyst Recruiting Inc.
- -, Northeast United States
Home-based, northeast U.S (Montreal or Toronto, perhaps?)
Key words: elemental analysis, Secondary Ion Mass Spectroscopy (SIMS), electron probe and microprobe, Wavelength Dispersive Spectroscopy (WDS) and more.
- The engineer will work with customers (medical, biopharma, semiconductor, high-purity materials/ceramics, geoscience and related, etc, industries) and optimize, repair, troubleshoot, etc, use of the company’s instrumentation with the customer’s needs.
- Travel to customer sites primarily in the northeast U.S. and Southeast Canada. Where/when possible, this will include considerable virtual/video visits
- Set-up and/or troubleshoot instruments at customer sites. This is not a simple “read manual and fix it” position! You must understand the “what” and “how”!
- Assist with set-up and lead and/or effect repairs of instrumentation if that is possible in the field; manage off site repairs if needed. Perform periodic maintenance
Some of this is more “desired”. There is training. No one fits the mold precisely!
- MUST have a very strong mechanical aptitude – working with complex and quite delicate components.
- MUST be able to work on-sites, able to improvise if needed, able to travel (U.S., Canada), effectively problem-solve difficult problems with potentially really annoying customers.
- Able to read, interpret, work from and know what may be “inferred” from complex specs, as-built drawings, SOPs, etc.
- Understanding of solid-state chemistry, crystal chemistry, physics, etc, is a very good thing. The more the better. BSc great.
- Decent human being with energetic personality that can go on a site and work with the humans and the equipment!
- There are many processes and systems. Knowledge and operational expertise in as many as possible:
- X-ray spectroscopy, positron spectroscopy, XRF (WDS) – systems, components, safety, etc
- Vacuum systems – Turbomolecular, ion, cryo pumps. UHV
- Electronics analysis: Oscilloscopes, TDR, Meters, etc (usual stuff)
- Electrical systems: high voltage, step-down, electrical safety, UPS, etc
Person must be located near a decent airport. Might consider a relocation. Salary is simply “over $80k” with bonus and necessary things to do the job.
Wednesday, September 9, 2020