Vice President, Life Sciences
- Eastcoast, USA
Clayco’s Science & Technology Business Unit creatively solves the most complex challenges and successfully deliver research, laboratory and manufacturing facilities for small private companies and large corporations.
Our work features industry-leading project delivery methodologies that provide speed to market while ensuring operational efficiency and regulatory compliance. Clayco understands the myriad of challenges facing operations and works seamlessly with our client stakeholders to mitigate risk while exceeding expectations.
The Vice President of Life Sciences will be responsible for working within the Science & Technology Business Unit to win work, and then overseeing the successful execution of multiple projects as the “executive in charge”. Success will be measured by winning the business and keeping our clients happy, while ensuring our projects maintain schedule, budget, and the industry leading level of safety we demand.
This is a Seller / Doer role with no limitations of geography. This person is a strong leader, currently employed, and is capable of working on large and complex projects that are typically design-build delivery. This is a driven, entrepreneurial individual driven to win work, grow the S&T business within Clayco and has a previous experience leading teams of construction professionals and developing future leaders and future business at Clayco.
The Specifics of the Role:
- Work with business unit leader to develop and implement Clayco’s S&T Business Plan.
- Responsible for securing and growing new Clayco accounts
- Identify new client opportunities, nationally (US), create win strategy and win work.
- Actively contribute to Clayco’s S&T business development efforts, including, networking, attending industry events, and targeted marketing.
- Lead the Clayco team in the RFQ/RFP response effort. This includes complete oversight of pursuit strategy creation and execution, design management, preconstruction/estimating, marketing communication, legal contract review, and the client presentation.
- Contract, scope, and deal negotiation with the owner. Overall responsibility for complete knowledge and administration of the Owner contract.
- Identify key project management and field supervision for each project, ensure scope education and project transition, and provide executive oversight during construction.
- Manage client relationships throughout the delivery process – leading to repeat business.
- Work with operations team on key activities such as large trade buyout, early design-phase activities.
- Help recruit key roles to help build a high performing knowledgeable team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Construction/Engineering/Real Estate related discipline required.
- 10+ Years substantial and broad business experience in Science and Technology Business Development and Project Management with individual project values ranging in excess of $20 million.
- Having a strong Life Science key client relationships and portfolio
- Strong understanding of construction costs, and cost drivers; in the context of both overall project costs and unit costs/assembly costs.
- Competitive nature/drive, looking to tackle extremely difficult challenges and find a way to succeed through any circumstance.
- Exhibits intellectual curiosity, through an ever-changing quest to improve execution, reduce cost, and evolve our project delivery.
- Excellent Soft Skills – one who listens well, and can quickly assess different personalities and situations, and effectively implement a management style for each challenge.
- Communicates well both verbally and in writing, delivers presentations in a manner that reflects well on behalf of Clayco.
- Thinks creatively, using limited information to develop potential solutions, communicate and sell to an internal or external team, build consensus and support, and oversee the execution of a plan.
- Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
- Plans for and uses resources efficiently.
- Great attention to detail and accuracy, in a drive to ensure a complete understanding of scope.
- Proactive approach to construction cost management, helping project teams to foresee potential issues in the field.
- Establishes project goals, milestones, and procedures, defines roles and responsibilities, acquires project resources, coordinates projects throughout a company, monitors project progress, and oversees multiple projects and client relationships.
- Inspires and stimulates the best efforts of subordinates in the accomplishment of identified goals.
- Understanding of customer decision drivers in project selection and team selection.
- Design-Build Experience
- Strong Business development experience
- Preconstruction experience
Personal skills and traits include:
- Sense of urgency
- Team player
- Able to multi-task
- Effective time management
- Able to effectively prioritize
- Good interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Able to drive sales initiatives that result in successful client opportunities.
Core Value Candidate Qualifications
- Must exhibit an entrepreneurial spirit by consistently seeking new opportunities to add value to the organization. Must strive for excellence in all aspects of job performance.
- Must approach their work enthusiastically with a contagious energy and drive that shows everyone they love what they do.
- Must display creativity and innovation by continually working to improve solutions, tools, methods and service delivery system.
- Must conduct oneself with an uncompromising commitment to the welfare of our clients and each other. Must act in an ethical, professional and respectful manner at all times.
- Must exhibit the ability to build and sustain long term relationships of mutual value through teamwork.
- Must be driven to succeed and committed to goal attainment.
Clayco is a full-service, turnkey real estate development, master planning, architecture, engineering and construction firm that safely delivers clients across North America the highest quality solutions on time, on budget, and above and beyond expectations. With $4.9 billion in revenue for 2021, Clayco specializes in the "art and science of building," providing fast track, efficient solutions for industrial, commercial, institutional and residential related building projects.
Best Places to Work – Crain’s Chicago Business, St. Louis Business Journal
ENR – Top Midwest Contractors (#1), Top Design Build Contractors (#4), Top 400 Contractors (#16)