Lab Planner, Science & Technology
Lamar Johnson Collaborative
- Saint Louis, MO
As a Lab Planner, you will be responsible for pre-design, programming & laboratory planning and demonstrate a thorough knowledge of laboratory environments. You are a subject matter expert on the design and documentation of labs including life science, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, electronics and clinical. Our planners utilize exceptional client relationship skills to develop a portfolio of innovative design solutions with an emphasis on built work. This role is responsible for achieving targeted project profitability within parameters for each project and assist in the leadership of Lamar Johnson Collaborative’ s S&T market sector while collaborating with the overall Clayco enterprise.
- Work directly with clients, scientists, researchers and related end-users to develop laboratory-planning strategies at all levels of detail including new construction and renovations.
- Offer and support creative, sustainability-focused laboratory planning, technical design and detailing decisions that are in line with project goals, yet pushing the envelope beyond traditional approaches to lab design, particularly in private industry.
- Program, design, and support the design process from conceptual phase through construction administration, ensuring the design idea is consistent and properly executed.
- Communicate client objectives, provide constructive feedback and mentoring, and identify and share lessons learned with teams.
- Be a proactive resource to project teams in their decision-making processes and in the development of technically sound and innovative planning and design solutions.
- Lead the development of the technical project requirements and facilitate QA/QC processes.
- Ensure appropriate client and internal communication including written project documentation.
- Lead key meetings and presentations. Develop and maintain positive client relations.
- Communicate design, construction, and other issues to clients in a clear and compelling way.
- Work proactively to obtain approvals for additions to scope of work and influence clients to approve and process payables for our services.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in architecture
- Experience in Pharmaceuticals/Life Sciences.
- 10 plus years’ experience responsible for the design of laboratories
- Professional Registration preferred, possessing Architecture License
- Advanced working knowledge of Revit would be a strong asset
- Knowledge of LEED and LEAN design a plus
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with an adaptable and flexible style in working with all types of individuals
- Creative and results-oriented, with a strong sense of urgency
- Highly entrepreneurial and self-motivated, with the ability to work equally well on own as well as in a team environment
- Advanced knowledge of laboratory design principles, best practices, construction methodology, materials application and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness
- Extensive knowledge of laboratory programming
- Knowledge of building regulations and safety codes
- Effectively meet deadlines with strong leadership and communication skills.
- Detail oriented team player with strong leadership and communication skills.
- Proficient in all relevant software: Adobe creative suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Sketchup, PowerPoint, Word, Excel
- Competitive salary and compensation
- 401K and profit-sharing plans
- A full complement of employee benefits, including health, dental and vision plans; flexible spending accounts; life insurance; disability coverage; and employee assistance programming
LJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Lamar Johnson Collaborative, Inc.
LJC is a growing architecture, design and planning firm committed to creating and delivering design solutions that improve and enhance the human experience of the built environment. Youthful in outlook, seasoned in experience, LJC offers a diverse portfolio of expertise across a range of project scales and typologies, including commercial, mixed use and residential. We believe our work is a fundamental expression of optimism in the future, and that design is a means to effect positive, enduring change.