Part-time position: 24 - 30 hours/week
Legal Counsel for the Elderly (LCE) seeks a housing attorney to provide legal representation to District of Columbia (D.C.) 60+ tenants in need of assistance in eviction matters. This is a temporary position lasting for six months to a year. The position is supervised by Senior Staff Attorneys and the Manager of the LCE Tenant Advocacy and Support practice.
• Provide full representation in eviction defense matters including the following:
o Representation in all aspects of litigation in cases pending in D.C. Superior Court Landlord and Tenant Branch and in the Civil Actions Branch to include written and oral advocacy, motions practice, propounding discovery, mediation, and trial.
o Representation in all aspects of litigation for housing subsidy terminations before the District of Columbia Housing Authority’s Office of Fair Hearings;
• Provide assistance with Emergency Rental Assistance Programs and STAY DC applications for senior tenants facing nonpayment of rent cases;
• Collaborating with social work staff to provide senior tenant clients with client-centered representation.
DESIRED EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
• Completion of a Juris Doctorate degree and member of the DC Bar with a minimum of 3 years legal experience (clinical experience and internships may count toward this requirement), preferably in a legal services setting performing landlord and tenant litigation in the District of Columbia.
• Strong problem-solving and multi-tasking skills required.
• Knowledge of the District of Columbia legal services community and social services community is a plus.
• Good organizational and communication skills.
• Amenability to local travel.
• Spanish-speaking a plus.
Posted On: Thursday, June 9, 2022