Software Engineer - Java, API Web/REST Services
The Consortium, Inc.
- Herndon, VA
Software Engineer (seeking a FTE - not contracting)
Remote work is fine.
We are seeking a Java full stack developer that is willing and able to learn other technologies, new, existing, and old. Then apply this desire and experience in a large data centric environment to support our mission and vision. In this role, you conduct analysis, design, development, testing, and debugging of database-driven application programs. You will assist the development team in providing comprehensive support for existing and new applications, and offer expertise regarding methods, standards and technical considerations for software applications.
The company is planning on modernizing its application portfolio to be hosted in a hybrid cloud environment from its current on-premise environment. This modernization effort will also include migrating to an open source technology stack. This position works in an Agile/Scrum environment where the focus is on the teamwork and ownership of each project. The ideal incumbent has a drive for learning new things and is passionate about engineering end-to-end technical solutions. A commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and product quality are essential.
- Analyze, design, develop, test, and debug web and/or cloud based multi-tier database-driven Java applications and components to support business requirements. Testing is inclusive of automated testing as part of an automated test suite which has been adopted by the development team.
- Support production issues as required.
- Diagnose problems, troubleshoot, and develop technical solutions.
- Create and maintain technical and knowledgebase documentation.
- Solve problems independently with minimal technical or managerial guidance.
Optimizes Work Processes:
- Any code developed is expected to conform to defensive coding practices that supports the OWASP Top 10 and is evaluated for security (e.g., cross site scripting, SQL injection) and improper coding practices by tools from the Burp Suite, SonarQube and Fortify.
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Develop and optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability. Applications may have performance SLAs that must be met.
- Collaborate with project team members to deliver technical solutions.
- Communicate clearly and effectively across IT, business process owners, and customers.
- Communicate progress and challenges to management.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field. A combination of education and experience, including through military service will also be considered.
- Proficiency with a combination of the following (typically acquired by 4-7 years of experience):
- Strong Java programming, hands-on professional software development, hands-on SQL, and experience with building end-to-end solutions with front-end frameworks and integration with backend data services using API Web/REST Services.
- Maintaining code quality and security standards using tools such as SonarQube, Fortify, and/or Crucible.
- Agile/Scrum procedures and processes.
- Analyzing, troubleshooting, and debugging issues in a Production environment.
- MVC frameworks and/or multi-tier architectures.
- Application/web server/cloud environment.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written, verbal, and Interpersonal skills, with a proven track record of working effectively both in a team environment and independently.
Additional Desired Requirements:
- Understanding of XML & JSON data formats, RESTful services.
- Demonstrated experience:
- Working in large data centric application environment and detailed understanding business tier modeling, data flows, data architecture and real-time/batch-based processing.
- Developing cloud-based applications using open source technology, containers, and microservices.
- With software such as Tableau, Postgres, Glue, Redshift, Semarchy, Docker, Kubernetes, or AWS products.
- Certification as an AWS Developer/AWS Solutions Architect.
Monday, June 28, 2021