For more than 45 years, Legal Counsel for the Elderly has championed the dignity and rights of Washington, DC elders by providing free legal and social work services to those in need. Our work addresses the most important aspects of an older adult's life, including housing, economic security, self-determination, and health and safety. We impact the lives of nearly 10,000 people annually, while advocating for city-wide reforms in laws, regulations, and long-term care facilities. LCE's Tenant Advocacy and Support Practice defends clients facing eviction and assists them with other housing matters.
• Provides general administrative support for attorneys in LCE's Tenant Advocacy and Support Practice.
• Supports attorneys with client communications and investigative work such as gathering evidence, searching records and drafting documents.
• Assists clients with applications for benefit and assistance programs.
• Provides litigation support, such as filing court documents, retrieving court files, and tracking court deadlines.
• Maintains case management databases including conducting intake, maintaining case notes, and case closures.
• Coordinates outreach activities under the direction and supervision of the attorney-supervisor.
• Provides accurate information and referrals to clients and applicants for services.
• Sensitivity to the legal and social needs of low-income elder population in the District of Columbia.
• Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills and ability to adhere to established best practices and guidelines regarding client services.
• Ability to competently use standard workplace software (especially Outlook, Word, Excel and Teams) and to quickly learn new software.
• Associate's degree, paralegal training, or certificate with relevant training and experience related to the duties of the position.
• Professional or personal experience interacting with older adults and LCE's client community and at least 2 years work experience preferred.
For consideration, please submit your resume as a MS Word attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
"Combining Talent with Technology"