- Hastings, MN
Position Overview & Company Description:
If your accounting and finance experience is coupled with the desire to be an integral part of building a great company, then keep reading! Here you will use your accounting and finance expertise to collaborate, innovate, and help our apparel company scale to the next level. As Controller, you will successfully manage accounting, finance and inventory related operations – in a manner aligned with our strategic goals.
The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
The successful candidate for this position will possess ambition, strategic business acumen, strong analytical skills, and great energy. It is imperative that you have experience managing the accounting and financial functions for a growing, inventory-based business.
- Maintains and enforces a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Create and maintain annual operating budget and cash flow
- Manages payroll, commissions, 401k and other benefits
- Manages A/R aging and customer credit limits
- Oversee the operations of the accounting, HR and purchasing departments, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving each department's goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner; ensure all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable is collected promptly
- Process payroll and benefits administration in a timely manner
- Understands & manages inventory availability, purchasing requirements and product costing
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis and bank reporting requirements are met
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Maintain all HR and benefits related reporting to compliance
Desired Skills & Experience
- College degree in accounting/finance.
- 7+ years of accounting and finance experience
- Must have experience managing the full accounting function at a small- to mid-size business.
- Must have experience in an inventory-based business; retail background is a plus.
- Product import experience desired.
- Understanding of product costing models.
- Analytical – collects and researches data; uses experience to supplement and interpret data.
- Exceptionally strong user of Microsoft Excel. Ideally also familiar with relational databases (i.e. Access, FileMaker, etc.).
- Management experience is a plus.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy. Top-notch organizational skills are a must.
- Able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner as well as develop alternative solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at all levels.
- Business acumen – understands business implications of decisions; aligns work with company strategic goals; demonstrates knowledge of industry and market.
- Interest, energy and flexibility to work in the fast-paced environment of a growing business and wear multiple hats. Ability to efficiently manage multiple projects.
- Personal commitment to do what it takes to help build a successful business. The ability to think “outside the box” in order to assist in the sales and profitability of a growth business.
- Team player.
Friday, March 6, 2020