- Minneapolis, Minnesota
Our client is a non-profit with business lines in real estate development, property management, resident services, real estate asset management and resource development. They have 48 properties, with more than 5,500 apartment homes, and consolidated assets of $513MM and annual consolidated revenue of $52MM. The organization’s portfolio has doubled in three years, and continued significant growth is projected.
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller is responsible for all accounting functions, internal and external financial reporting, financial and tax compliance, and treasury management, including managing outside CPA audits, coordinating the budget process, and overseeing banking needs. A successful Controller will be a hands-on leader with a growing team of eight direct and indirect reports and build and maintain strong internal and external relationships.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage all accounting functions and lead day-to day accounting operations. Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for accurate and timely accounting of business results for properties and subsidiaries as well as the corporate entity.
- Prepare and publish timely and accurate financial statements and reports for internal and external use, including monthly financial statements for 48 properties and annual audits for 37 subsidiaries.
- Effectively coordinate activities of external auditors to facilitate audits and meet all deadlines to ensure compliance with GAAP and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure timely and accurate regulatory reporting, including tax compliance.
- Provide management with information vital to decision-making, as required and requested, including procurement policy compliance and metrics. Act as a resource to other departments regarding all accounting issues and reporting.
- Efficiently and effectively coordinate the budgeting and budget variance reporting processes.
- Effectively manage organization’s banking needs for accounts, transaction services and short-term cash management.
- Evaluate, develop, and continually improve accounting policies and procedures and an efficient, effective accounting operations environment, including accounting practices and processes, a system of effective internal controls, and optimization of accounting and reporting software and technology.
- Hire, train, develop, motivate, and retain skilled accounting staff.
- 10+ years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent expertise.
- 5+ years of team leadership.
- Intercultural competence is required.
- Strong communication, technology, analytical and management skills.
- Possess thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- CPA credentials, experience in multifamily housing development or management and nonprofit experience are highly preferred and valued.
Monday, December 21, 2020