Director of Governmental Affairs
- Solon, OH
Our Client is the largest governmental retail aggregation in the United States. They have over 240 member communities in 19 counties throughout Ohio. Their mission is simple and compelling - they exist for the sole purpose of serving member communities and consumers. Period.
To fulfill this purpose, they aggregate, educate and advocate to maximize the value to client members. Specific programs include facilitating investments in communities through grants, customer education and small business financing, helping reduce individual energy consumption, and sponsoring local events to provide resources and education on additional programs.
Our Client’s team is comprised of confident, thinking leaders who are both humble and flexible. Their culture is built on service, and a willingness to put one’s shoulders to that service regardless of where, how, and when the opportunity for service may present itself. They are driven team players, smart and intelligent, who understand and forward the needs of the people and communities they serve and who roll up their sleeves to work both collectively and individually to live up to and exceed expectations of the public they serve.
Candidate reports to the Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer. This is a senior management position with considerable independence requiring a significant amount of judgment and sensitivity to many programmatic, administrative, and fiscal issues facing the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works directly with the Executive Director/CEO in the development and implementation of strategies, written communications, and personal contacts toward attaining Organization goals.
- Identifies potential relationship issues, assesses potential solutions, and makes recommendations about how to enhance the climate (including, at times, the political climate), and processes to solve membership issues.
- Directs the development and implementation of state-wide expansion plans to achieve account growth and retention goals.
- Directs and manages the functions and daily activities of the Relationship Management team and coordinates the activities of any contract employees associated with expansion initiatives.
- Directs the daily activities of identifying prospect communities and potential community program expansions. Coordinates initial contacts, presentations, follow-up, finalization and promotion of natural gas and electric aggregation ballot initiatives and membership documentation.
- Directs efforts to research, gather data, analyze, and monitor the competitive environment and evolving market conditions and develops relationship management and expansion strategies to adapt to new market and competitive conditions.
- Assists the Executive Director/CEO with activities to establish and maintain positive, engaged relationships with elected and appointed officials both within existing membership and with new and prospective members including ensuring that community members maximize their engagement in Client programs and understand the full benefits of membership
- Directs the planning of additional resources to support expansion and relationship management goals and directs the hiring and management of the Relationship Management team. Supports the Executive Director/CEO in contracting of sales and relationship management support as necessary.
- Directs the development and preparation of reports and analytics to identify new market opportunities and to monitor the enrollment growth trends and relationship building campaigns.
- Directs and delivers the presentation of reports and provides details on sales, pricing analytics, and relationship management progress to the Leadership Team, the Board of Directors, and to the General Assembly as appropriate.
- Develops and manages operating budgets for department and justifications for new proposals and market entry/expansion points.
- Manages and evaluates Relationship Management team members as necessary.
- Works with Executive Director/CEO and entire Organization staff to establish and maintain a positive and progressive corporate image.
- Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in business, political science, or similarly suitable area from an accredited college or university. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in managing teams in a political environment related to a complex and technical organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Computer Skills: High proficiency in all office-based functions (Microsoft Office - all major components), database management, and presentation software. Knowledge of customer relationship management (CRM) software preferred.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Excellent oral and written communications abilities.
- Excellent presentation and persuasion skills.
- Ability to analyze data and make recommendations of forward strategic plans.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- High level of initiative, attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
The Candidate will work in an office environment but is also expected to be able to function in an environment consistent with many multiple public buildings, and occasionally in trade shows, street fairs, festivals, etc. outside of normal business hours and throughout the Client’s Ohio footprint. Resultantly, the Candidate should expect to occasionally deal with the normal range of Ohio weather, including heat, cold, humidity, rain, etc. Regular travel within the Client’s footprint is required. Candidate should understand the expectation is that this job periodically requires a 40+ hour per week commitment.
Friday, July 8, 2022