Network and Security Engineer
De Forest Search
- Irvine, CA
Network and Security Engineer
The Network and Security Engineer (NSE) is a member of a customer service focused IT organization and is expected to effectively assist the IT Director in the administration and maintenance of Windows servers, networking equipment, SAN storage, office audiovisual (AV) and communications equipment. This position is based in our Irvine, California office with some travel to other locations (e.g. Burbank).
The NSE provides escalated technical support troubleshooting and problem solving for Desktop Support Technicians. The NSE provides 24/7 on call support assistance for all systems critical to the daily operations. The NSE should have a strong understanding of the roles, processes and job functions of employees. As well, the NSE is to assist the IT Director in defining and implementing IT projects, act as vendor liaison, and make presentations to internal/external audiences. Additionally, the NSE will be point person for monitoring and maintaining network and application security information, antivirus software, workstation updates, and mobile device management.
Customer service is the top priority with responsibilities that include the installation, configuration and maintenance of the following:
- Windows (workstations and servers), Mac and others.
- Networking: Cisco, HP Aruba Routers/Switches, Cisco Load Balancers
- Firewall and IDS/IPS: Cisco ASA, Fortinet
- Storage:Nimble, NetApp, LTO Tape Libraries, Promise RAID and others
- Fiber Channel:Brocade OEM switches and fiber topology
- Office Audio/Video Conferencing: Polycom, Lifesize
- VoIP Phone Systems
- Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
- Wireless AP’s (Ubiquiti, Meraki, etc.)
- Virtualization:VMWare ESXi 6.x
- Remote Access:Remote Desktop, VPN (SSL and IPSEC)
- Messaging:Microsoft Exchange, Mimecast, O365
- Backup and Data Management: Veeam
- Nextgen Endpoint Protection:Cylance or CrowdStrike
- Monitoring and Logging:Sumo Logic, SolarWinds
Duties and Responsibilities:
Operations and Infrastructure
- ·Managing AD users, groups and related policies
- ·Managing service tickets assigned to the NSE within established SLAs
- ·Assisting in maintaining physical servers, server room environment and access security
- ·Assist in creating and maintaining all support and architecture documentation
- ·Supporting the Helpdesk Lead in maintaining asset (HW/SW) inventory
- ·Serving as tier 3 support for help desk technicians as well as providing direct support when help desk is short staffed / overwhelmed
- ·Assisting in the management and coordination of IT-related projects, as well as IT-related aspects of Enterprise projects
- ·Maintain workstation and server updates, patches
- ·Strategic planning for network security
- ·Maintaining security of external websites
- ·Assisting with server backups and restores
- ·Mobile Device Management (MDM) / security
Qualifications and Skills:
- Excellent communication, problem solving and customer service skills
- Act as a team player with the ability to work independently
- Working knowledge of Windows Server 2012/2016, AD, NTFS permissions, DNS, WINS, WSUS
- Comfortable working both with a team locally & globally and individually when necessary
- To mentor and assist other members whenever needed, providing both technical assistance and training
- Ability to remain calm and controlled when faced with highly technical problems
- Ability to converse with all level of management on a non-technical level
- Working knowledge of Exchange, Microsoft office suite 2016 and Office 365
- Must have an excellent work ethic and be willing to work outside of normal hours when the need arises.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or equivalent experience.Achievement of or working towards key industry certifications (MCP, MCSE, etc.) would be a huge plus.
- Extensive experience rolling out large server projects.
- Experience in maintaining and supporting large-scale enterprise IT infrastructure
- Proven experience working with and implementing alerting/monitoring systems
- Proven experience maintaining high security within a large-scale enterprise environment
- Will be required to travel to variouslocations as part of the job requirements and must be willing to travel to the Europe if needed.
- Possess or working toward networking certification such CCNA, CISSP, MCSE would be a huge plus