Director of Construction
- Greenville, SC
Careers with our clients at DHG Search
Job Title: Director of Construction
Location: Main Office/Job Site
Reports to: President
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Director of Construction provides the overall leadership of the project teams to execute projects and provide technical direction to the respective team members. The Director of Construction will provide the necessary support to carry out the operational objectives and initiatives of the Construction operations. The Director of Construction will also support the President and CFO in execution of all initiatives of the group.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The following duties and responsibilities are an outline and should not be considered an all-inclusive list. As the needs of the organization change, duties may be modified. Be a guardian of the culture.
- Work with the Development team to develop a business strategy that meets the vision of the Construction business plan objectives
- Review with the leadership the vision for the project and determine if project expectations can be met.
- Provide leadership direction in creating the estimate and the technical portion of a proposal.
- Provide final decisions for project estimates.
- Oversee and handle the negotiation of terms of agreements, drafting of contracts, and the acquisition of permits and licenses.
- Analyze, manage, and mitigate risks.
- Ensure all legal and business deal points are considered prior to any formal contractual agreement.
- Accept overall accountability for construction commitments and notify the leadership of significant changes.
- Delegate to project team members specific project responsibilities and ensure these roles are being executed to meet or exceed the project cost, schedule, quality, and safety expectations.
- Carry out a review of work progress on a regular basis.
- Monitor project profitability and notify leadership of significant changes.
- Facilitate brainstorm sessions with available “non-team member” talent - creative solutions are required.
- Monitor and foster team building amongst all members of the execution team (construction and operations).
- Meet or exceed expectations while achieving company benchmarks and upholding the culture.
- Update Strategic Plan, review Job Cost Projections and review Cash Flows for accuracy each month.
- Make sure that construction standards are of high quality and ensure the use of proper construction techniques and safety practices.
- Plan, as well as make decisions to prevent problems and minimize any emerging problems.
- Coordinate and direct the activities of construction workers and subcontractors.
- Provide the vision, planning, facilitation, and succession of key operational functions and systems (i.e., outline specifications, estimate system, construction accounting systems, project execution & scheduling software selections, recruiting, and hiring, etc.) These roles may be shared and /or rotated on an annual basis.
- Supervise Superintendents, Project Managers and other related personnel and carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Construction policies and applicable laws.
- Plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance, lead initiatives, and resolve issues.
- Oversee and handle various parts of construction projects, such as planning, directing, coordinating the activities of workers, choosing contractors, and monitoring performance.
- Coordinate construction projects and ensuring that everything goes according to plan from conception to completion.
- Oversee the completion of construction projects by handling planning, budgeting, and making key decisions to ensure that construction projects are in conformity with the proposed budget and are completed on time.
- Responsible for evaluating and determining costs by preparing a budget, showing both soft and hard costs and coming up with ways to reduce budgets, such as utilizing alternative building materials when necessary.
- Negotiate contracts, which involves negotiating contracts with vendors and other professionals, and renegotiating contracts with contractors and subcontractors when changes occur.
- Attend and proactively participate in construction meetings to communicate with staff, supervisors, and other parties involved in the construction project to discuss budgets, plans, and goals.
QUALIFICATIONS/COMPETENCIES: REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED
- Four-year Engineering, Construction Management, or Architectural related degree from an accredited College or University (Bachelor’s Degree).
- Three years’ experience as a Director of Construction or;
- Ten years construction experience with five years minimum as a Senior Project Manager or Project Manager.
- Proficient knowledge of Excel, Word, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, as well as estimating, project management, and cost accounting software. Proficient use of project management software such as Blue Beam, Plan Grid, Primavera, or others is preferred.
- OSHA 10 hour or OSHA 30 hour certification preferred.
- Experience in multi-family housing construction or related construction (hotel, residential facility, etc.)
- Familiarity with IBC2018, IRC2018, FHA and ADA preferred.
- Field Experience in work planning and the supervision of subcontractors preferred.
- Excellent time management skills, verbal and written communication skills, and good teamwork skills. Including strong interpersonal skills, good decision-making skills, and good physical strength and stamina; good project management skills, good leadership skills including solution focused relationship building communication, and ability to pay particular attention to detail.
Monday, March 14, 2022