Overnight Youth Residential Advisor
- Oakland, CA, United States
Want to be part of an organization that makes a difference in the lives of homeless and trafficked youth? Our Client is a non-profit agency whose mission is to serve homeless and trafficked youth (18-24) offering, safety, hope and opportunities to turn their lives around.
We are seeking to hire a qualified youth worker to be on our residential team at our crisis shelter and transitional living program. We are looking for applicants that have experience working with youth that have experienced homelessness, who have traumatic histories, identify as LGBTQ, are gender non-conforming and/or who often face multiple issues and have complex needs. This person will have knowledge and/or experience working with youth development programs, utilizing a harm reduction framework, using trauma informed practices and will value working with a multi-disciplinary team to create a safe inclusive environment for all. Due to the age of our clients employees must be 25 years old.
- Provide supervision of the shelter, including oversight and maintenance of the various areas of the facility.
- Safety awareness of situations and spaces.
- Perform day to day operations and duties in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Provide welcoming, engaging and professional phone and door coverage to include answering and responding to incoming crisis, business information and resource and referral inquiries.
- Crisis prevention and intervention while adhering to agency protocol for responding, reporting and seeking support.
- Build rapport with clients and act as a positive role model and safe adult while maintaining and facilitating healthy boundary setting.
- Be a proactive and involved team member and encourage youth to participate in activities.
- Direct supervision of the youth in the shelter, on outings in community, and during meetings and appointments in the community.
- Develop knowledge of the current community resources available to clients.
- Teach basic life skills such as personal hygiene, household cleaning, and interpersonal interactions.
- Lead groups on skill building as assigned.
- Maintain and engage in consistent communication with the multidisciplinary team by preparing shift notes and logs, as well as creating critical incident reports.
- Attend trainings, meetings and supervision as assigned.
- Function as back-up coverage, as assigned.
- Work directly with clients doing triage (i.e., field questions, ask what clients need, clarify the problem, etc.)
- Supervise clients in completion of chores, if applicable.
- Inspect common areas of the shelter for cleanliness on a daily basis.
- Function as Person in Charge (PIC), as designated.
- Be timely and present at all scheduled meetings, trainings and shifts.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field preferred or equivalent experience in residential program. High School Diploma required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience working with at risk youth ages 18-24.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills and strong organizational skills. Must be computer literate (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.) Must be a self-starter and team player with the ability to work with other staff members, clients, vendors and the public.
- General business/office environment. Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. on occasion, bend, sit and stand for prolonged periods of time. Some weekend/holiday work may be required.
- Adolescent Development, Crisis Intervention, Multi-Cultural Awareness, Trauma Informed Care, Harm Reduction, Part-R, and CPR & FIRST AID.
Thursday, February 3, 2022