Food Scientist III
OPUS International, Inc.
- Gaylord, MN
Our client is a leading food processor and distributor of egg products, refrigerated grocery and potato products. Their customers' wants and needs serve as a foundation for all they do. They have become a leader in the food industry by introducing innovative, value-added food technology and customer solutions. They currently have a new opportunity for a Food Scientist III at their location in the Midwest.
The Food Scientist III is responsible for supporting activities around customer/sales sample requests, new products and line extensions, conducting product development project work as a member of a product development team, and providing technical & scientific support for RD&I Department. This self-motivated individual drives new technical initiatives which fit within the corporate strategic plan. This role directs and manages the activities of technician(s) and professional(s) who may be assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for development of complex products or technology platforms through designing, planning, and execution of experiments while demonstrating a range of creativity.
- Independently and rapidly formulate any food product; proficient in utilizing all available food ingredients in industry.
- Readily identify potential reactions among ingredients and rapidly solve formulation problems. When necessary, chemically alter existing ingredients to enhance their performance in achieving a specific goal (nutrition, preservation, special functionality such as thickening, emulsifying, etc.)
- Scale-up products from bench top to the pilot plant to the plant required for commercial production scale-up.
- Design and develop the next generation processing techniques that result in cheaper, better customer-perceived quality or improved shelf-life products.
- Routinely recommend process innovations.
- Work with cross-functional teams as required (marketing, sales, operations, quality control, packaging, regulatory, other R&D areas of discipline and special operating groups). May use cross-functional strategy for problem solving.
- Draft standards and specifications on finished products and ingredients used with minimal assistance.
- Generate food labels with complete information.
- Identify primary experimental variables and draft routine experimental designs independently; readily utilize statistics in designing and interpreting experiments and use experience to see patterns and trends.
- Consistently achieve creative solutions of any technical problems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Ph.D. in Food Science or related technical field and 3+ years’ experience in Food Technology; or M.S. in Food Science or related technical field and 10+ years’ experience in Food Technology.
- Exhibit a professional attitude at all times; demonstrate a cooperative demeanor and willingness to help others.
- Ability to navigate self and others through conflict.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong teamwork and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to coach others.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to rapidly learn other pertinent software as the job requires.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS: Knowledge of USDA, FDA and other local, state, and federal food laws and ability to ensure the Company stays within compliance. Demonstrate a complete knowledge of all available food ingredients.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work and may not include all of the duties required of the position.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the U.S. now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Susan Canarick, (954) 428-3888 (O) or (954) 830-7539 (C); or email@example.com.
Wednesday, August 8, 2018