Director of Transportation
- Bolingbrook, IL
We are currently hiring a Director of Transportation for our client, a wholesale apparel distribution company. They operate six nationwide distribution centers with a total of 3.5 million sqft of warehouse space. They also offer one-day shipping to 41 states, with over 30,000 domestic packages.
The person in this role will oversee daily shipping operations, manage carrier relations, and be responsible for developing and implementing the overall transportation strategy. The Director of Transportation will be the primary point of contact for all carriers; UPS, FedEx, USPS, Purolator, US Regional Carriers) in addition to LTL,TL and local couriers. This is a new role reporting to the VP of Operations.
- Manage and source transportation service providers across all modes of transportation to include, small package, USPS, same day express (UPS/FedEx), local couriers, trucking (LTL/FTL), and air services.
- Oversee performance and conduct business reviews to ensure delivery commitments for a fast-growing client base.
- Identify areas of process improvement and reduce transportation costs to maximize profitability.
- Identify new and complementary transportation methods and carriers to add the existing portfolio (international, same day domestic, zone skip, etc.)
- Partner with the IT department and define technical requirements necessary to support new or existing carriers in our network.
- Support customer facing teams (Sales & Customer Service) by providing updated information and guidance on freight optimization, cost and other relevant analysis such as quarterly business reviews.
- Monitor, analyze and report on freight metrics including profitability.
- Oversee special projects, such as supplier/carrier assessments, KPI performance, development of unit metrics, and special research.
- Resolve and troubleshoot any transportation issues that arise from the distribution centers.
Required Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- 10+ years of professional experience managing Transportation, Logistics, and/or Supply Chain in a distribution center environment.
- 10+ years of B2B & B2C logistics experience working directly with national and regional carriers
- 7+ years of experience with transportation management systems
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Technologically savvy with experience with WMS, ERP, and shipping systems is required
- Strong negotiation experience, handling contracts for carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS, LTL, and freight brokers.
- Must have a strong understanding of data analysis and a quantitative background.
- Ability to translate data and analysis into a business case or solution options.
- Expert level Microsoft Excel skills (pivot table, macros, etc).
- Capable of handling in depth projects.
- Well organized and detail-oriented.
- Self-motivated and self-starter with excellent follow-up.
Friday, February 12, 2021