Head of Enterprise Applications
- Dallas, TX
Head of Enterprise Applications
Reporting to the CIO, the Group Head of Enterprise Applications is responsible for the delivery, management, and implementation of applications and solutions that support customers, employees, and business partners. As a member of the IT senior leadership team, the Group Head of Enterprise Applications is an influential role, making investment and priority trade-off decisions, negotiating and managing vendor contracts, and recruiting and developing high performing teams. The Group Head of Enterprise Applications will provide vision and leadership to a team that includes full-time employees, supported as necessary by contractors and vendor professional services teams. He/she is an advocate for enterprise application development and configuration requirements and is responsible for the development, configuration and delivery of a comprehensive software development strategy, architecture and solutions.
At an enterprise level, we are seeking an experienced, energetic, engaging and visionary leader who wants to become part of an exciting, vibrant community of healthcare professional supporting the creation and configuration of software solutions to help the organization drive positive patient and business outcomes.
The complexity of this position requires a leadership approach that is engaging, imaginative, and collaborative, with a sophisticated ability to develop scalable, supportable, maintainable, robust, and high-performing solutions that meet our clients’ requirements. This will require the introduction of Agile, the Enterprise Application Development Methodology that integrates technology and business to quickly develop and deploy business solutions
Scope of Activities
The Group Head of Enterprise Applications will demonstrate competencies across six key dimensions.
Manage the Enterprise Applications Practice
- Leads the development of a value proposition and execution of a communication and education plan for the enterprise application practice.
- Recruit, develop and retain high caliber software development talent, especially for key leadership positions, and develop a robust career ladder with the software team.
- Implement and champion a robust professional development program, and continuously upskill team members to keep them current.
- Evaluate team members performance, provide candid feedback and high impact coaching that enables (and motivates) them to achieve departmental as well as enterprise goals.
Formulate Strategy and Guide Execution
- Understands disruptive forces and the business’s economic and financial levers that are susceptible to digital transformation to effectively guide technology investment decisions.
- Formulates, translates, advocates, supports and executes business strategy to achieve the organization’s targeted business outcomes.
- Leads the analysis of business and operating models, market trends and the technology industry to determine their potential impact on the enterprise’s business strategy, direction and architecture.
- Partner with business leaders to create robust solution roadmaps that are integrated with architecture and operations.
- Assesses disruptive forces impacting the organization and identifies technology-enabled innovation opportunities that enables business strategy.
- Tracks and applies innovative technologies, anchoring them in the business and operating model to assess their potential, and use agile and lean approaches to evolve and manage innovation.
- Runs technology experiments to create new products and services and integrate the best of these into steady-state operations for the organization.
- Identify emerging technology trends, especially in the area of SaaS and cloud computing, and ensure the company is leveraging them when appropriate to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and drive value.
- Ensure that all application development initiatives are well managed and delivered to meet expectations on functionality, timeliness, and cost.
- Seek out, validate, and bring to the technology organization innovative best practices and ideas from the outside, with a particular emphasis on application development and integration of COTS solutions.
Build and Maintain Relationships
- Determines the relationship between people, processes, information, technology and things of the enterprise, and their relationships to one another and to the external environment.
- Provides consultative advice to business leaders and organizational stakeholders who seek actionable recommendations to make investment decisions about the next business and operating model of their organization, using technology to make that change happen.
Orchestrate the Delivery of Business Outcomes
- Positions the Enterprise Applications practice at the intersection of business and IT. Ensures the Enterprise Application practice is designed and enabled to help formulate, translate and execute business strategy.
- Works with business leaders to identify key drivers and targeted business outcomes to derive useful business context.
Plan and Manage the IT Portfolio
- Presents gap analyses and/or IT investment roadmaps that reflect the status of the existing IT estate, namely, its ability to contribute to future-state business capabilities around ecosystems and digital platforms.
- Leads the development of an implementation plan for the enterprise architecture based on business requirements and the varying IT strategies for project-driven or product-driven delivery teams.
- Lead and inspire the application teams to engage with the business and identify new functionality, develop compelling business cases, prioritize projects and develop plans that maximize return on investment for the company.
- Lead a team managing all aspects of application development and delivery across multiple functions, business units and business lines.
- Effectively initiate, plan, schedule, control, and bring to closure multiple high priority projects.
- Develop and lead a collaborative and Agile software development approach that improves velocity, while maintaining a strong focus on both quality and scalability.
- Drive the cultural changes necessary to enable a continuous delivery model and foster a strong focus on automation of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Foster a strong client service mind-set throughout the application development team, while championing thought leadership and partnership with the business.
Required Credentials and Experience
- Has successfully led development and delivery of multiple complex business technology solutions into production that have achieved or surpassed business goals.
- Experience developing and supporting mission critical applications optimized to run in the cloud or virtualized environments.
- Deep knowledge of system architecture, technical design, and system and software development technology.
- Expertise with managing application development at scale, employing SDLC methodologies including Agile and Scrum.
- Has knowledge of emerging trends and developments in PaaS, SaaS, iOS/Android app API, cloud, AI, machine learning and other digital technologies.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, applied math; advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years of senior leadership experience, preferable working with top software solutions (WorkDay, Salesforce, SAP, etc….) is needed as well.
- Visible leadership skills and executive presence.
- Able to attract, develop and retain talent and build high performing software development teams.
- Able to foster a culture of transparency and a sense of purpose among the team, and create clear accountabilities and metrics.
- Demonstrated ability in developing a culture that embraces innovation, and challenges existing paradigms.
- Skilled at setting and communicating priorities effectively; able to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Skilled at removing barriers and acting with a sense of urgency, and encouraging others to so.
- Exceptional ability to lead change using positive and collaborative methods.
- Skilled at conflict resolution and problem-solving to achieve win-win outcomes.
- Superior program and project management competencies.
- Ability to step into projects already in progress, or in need of rescue, and effectively assume a leadership role.
- Vendor negotiations.
- Strong communication skills in writing, speaking, and presenting.
- An exceptional listener, able to comprehend what is said and probe for important details.
- Able to communicate technical or complex subject matter in business terms.
- Demonstrated acumen and passion for both business and technology, including the latest digital innovations as they apply to the creation of business value.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Accepts ownership and welcomes responsibility
Thursday, December 31, 2020