CAE Staff Engineer - Injection Molding R&D
- Raleigh, NC
The CAE Staff Engineer, Injection Molding R&D, is an essential part of BD’s Corporate Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) Advanced Prototyping team and will have the opportunity to contribute to the advancement of BD’s next-generation medical products and enhance the current product portfolio. Under the general direction of the Corporate CAE Advanced Prototyping Associate Director, they will support R&D, New Product Development, and Operations/Manufacturing by implementing rapid tooling/molding technologies utilizing a wide range of injection molding equipment and additive & subtractive tools.
The Staff Engineer Injection Molding R&D will provide technical leadership in applying, research, and developing new injection molding processes and equipment. The goal is to produce injection-molded parts quickly and optimize manufacturing processes and technologies during new product development. These efforts will enable rapid concept development and design iterations leading to successful technology transfer into manufacturing.
Additionally, the Staff Engineer will provide supervision to specific CAE team members and mentorship and technical guidance to cross-functional teams in subject matter areas of expertise. The direct impact of these efforts will be to deliver high-quality medical parts to the BDX community by using injection molding techniques.
- Provide technical leadership for the application and development of CAE Rapid Tooling capabilities within the BDX R&D community. Recommend and implement the application of appropriate technologies to meet project objectives. Interact independently with product development teams to examine options and develop plans for optimizing part functionality. Plan and manage multiple rapid tooling/injection molding projects utilizing internal and external partners to ensure successful completion. Maintain knowledge of internal and external capabilities to assist with project direction definition.
- Supervise the CAE Injection Molding Team (NC) and the CNC Machining Team (GA), and external resources to achieve Corporate CAE team objectives. Ensure project expectations are met and successful outcomes occur on time. Communicate strategic and technical direction to team members, stakeholders, and external vendors.
- Lead the research and development of techniques and equipment needed to advance the technology related to advanced prototyping. The R&D focus will include injection molding, CNC, subtractive manufacturing, and rapid prototyping and tooling. Recommend acquisition or development of additional tools, software, and equipment. Coordinate efforts with CAE Additive Manufacturing team members, internal BD stakeholders, and external partners where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain an external network of machining, tooling, additive, and molding vendors that support BD rapid tooling projects. Maintain state-of-the-art CAE Rapid Tooling, additive, and subtractive capabilities through training courses, seminars, and industry conferences. Attend and present at worldwide industry conferences as a subject matter expert.
- Work closely with the CAE Team and their network on active projects. Provide tooling expertise to enhance the impact of injection molding simulations. Utilize the Simulation and CT & Imaging teams to drive prototype tool design for quality molded parts. Explore opportunities to make a broader impact leveraging Advanced Prototyping technologies through project connections.
- Promote the value of CAE Rapid Tooling & Advanced Prototyping capabilities and engineering applications to the BDX community through internal webinars, forums, and visits to business unit customers.
- Develop and maintain an environment for constructive inter-relationships among CAE team members, business unit customers, and various cross-functional disciplines.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, with advanced degrees (MS or Ph.D.) preferred.
- Minimum of 7+ years of experience in utilizing various tooling/injection molding techniques for product development, preferably within the medical industry.
- Must have experience with injection molding processing, hands-on familiarity with injection molding machine controllers or machining centers, and proficiency with injection molding design.
- Ability to sense, develop, and implement new technologies in plastics injection molding tools, processes & platforms.
- Ability to work with professionals at all levels and to communicate with others effectively.
- Ability to execute responsibilities independently, with minimal day-to-day oversight.
- Experience in utilizing a variety of additive manufacturing techniques preferred.
- Strong familiarity in using three-dimensional CAD solid modeling software packages, preferably SolidWorks.
- Proven ability to manage teams.
The direct supervisory role of RTP Injection Molding Team and Covington CNC Machining Team as well as external resources to achieve Corporate CAE team objectives.
- Thorough, accurate, and timely completion of assigned responsibilities.
- Adherence to all BD policies and procedures as well as any laws where applicable.
- Effective written and verbal communication with management, project teams, and multi-functional personnel on a timely basis.
- Work independently to identify actions needed to complete assignments and demonstrate a strong drive for results.
- Manage assignments in accordance with project prioritization.
Wednesday, June 16, 2021