Director Statutory Accounting
- Hartford, CT
Performs full-charge accounting functions and supervises numerous functions such as month-end close, many reconciliations, some of which are confidential and complex in nature. The Director of Accounting is also responsible for development of finance staff and development and evaluation of recommendations for improvements to systems and departmental operations.
Essential functions include:
- Manages month-end and annual financial statement preparation and processes, ensuring accuracy and efficiency in the process.
- Responsible for quarterly and annual regulatory financial filings.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Provides and coordinates accounting staff with training, develops detailed cross-training structure with process and procedure documents updated periodically to achieve goals and objectives of the department.
- Develops or has a high level of knowledge regarding the functionality of the general ledger system, accounts payable system, electronic filing systems and creates a learning environment for these systems to the rest of the department. Utilize computer and related software effectively.
- Interacts with state insurance regulators regarding various financial filings, audits and other issues. Coordinates with outside auditors regarding annual and periodic audits.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of Statutory Accounting Principles applicable to insurance companies.
- Perform, review and oversee all aspects of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and analysis related to insurance accounting ensuring high quality, timeliness and accuracy for Statutory, IFRS, Solvency 2 and GAAP basis of accounting.
- Act as finance representative for new business, new products and system initiatives that impact insurance accounting.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel functions and ability to create efficiencies using Excel and working knowledge of Word, email and other pertinent systems.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S./B.A.) in accounting from a four-year college or university
- 10+ years accounting-related experience
- CPA or 3+ years internal audit experience is required
- Managerial experience is required
- Strong Management Skills focused on staff mentoring, development and growth
- Experience with ledger ERP systems is required
Thursday, January 23, 2020