Sr. Manager of Data & Analytics (100% Remote)
Our client in the sports technology and entertainment industry is looking for a capable leader for Data & Analytics initiatives. This person will help mesh out the data strategy and roadmap, as well as build and manage the associated analytics infrastructure and a team who can maintain it.
Ideal candidate has background, experience, and passion in the field of data/analytics - who can think strategically, can help define overall vision and strategy, and organize/build/grow a team that will execute and deliver business value. This leader will maintain key partnerships with other Technology leaders, as well as departments - including Marketing, Finance, Operations, Sales etc.
- Work with CIO to define and publish vision, strategy, and roadmap around data - which includes BI/Analytics as well as Player/Sports Analytics, with the goal of
o developing data into a strategic asset that enhances guest experience and enterprise value,
o leveraging data as a key competitive advantage and differentiator
- Ownership of all Business Intelligence and Analytics output - Reports, Insights, Market Research, etc.
o BI Dashboards - help build out daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly dashboards and report suites that help support tactical as well as strategic business and product decisions.
o Departmental KPIs and reports.
o Player Data and application of AI/ML to inform or enable differentiated products, experiences, and services.
o Support marketing analytics and research to better target and convert prospective customers, in partnership with internal marketing team as well as external agency partners.
- Operational ownership of any/all data tools and platforms – in partnership with the rest of the tech team.
- Day to day leadership of the team’s initiatives and projects.
o Set goals and manage priorities - resolve blockers, set standards, review progress periodically etc.
o Balance sense of urgency against quality, tech debt and continuous improvement culture.
o Assess size/complexity of projects - use experience, instincts about risk/unknowns etc.
o Manage resources and talent - hiring, resource augmentation for projects, and performance management.
o Assess and manage capacity vs demand, by monitoring utilization and roadmap of projects – advise leadership on making well thought out delivery commitments.
o Be accountable for team’s productivity and output, which is usually BI/Analytics reports or insights, associated data pipelines, implementations, configurations/scripts, design artifacts, etc.
- Partnership with Business and Product team to
o develop a clear work backlog – sized, groomed, ordered by priority.
o perform successful demos/acceptance, after each sprint.
o Regularly publish updated roadmaps to provide transparency and set expectations around delivery timelines.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Analytics or business intelligence leadership experience in leading discussions with executives to understand stakeholder needs, in asking insightful questions to elicit BI requirements, in providing data visualization suggestions based on the use-case to guide the process.
- Experience using one or more of the following analytics tools: SQL, Tableau, Snowflake or similar cloud-based columnar data warehouses, DBT for data modeling (or other similar tools).
- Experience leading agile teams and people - towards high performance and productivity, as well as producing consistent quality deliverables.
- Experience working with staffing agencies and/or consulting companies or agency partners in the marketing and data/analytics space.
- Strong Leadership skills and experience, with a sense of ownership/accountability and urgency.
- Experience with designing and delivering reports, visualizations, or presentations that are understandable for both technical and non-technical audiences and explain the importance and relevance of data to business.
o Translating high-level business goals into the tasks and technical specifications needed to perform data analysis or reporting work.
- Entrepreneurial spirit
o ability to play multiple roles and wear whatever hat is needed to get the job done.
o ability to juggle multiple priorities for oneself and for his/her team based on various factors (time/schedule, cost, risk, resource availability, other).
o ability to recognize problems as opportunities and look for better ways to achieve results.
- Exceptional communication skills – written and verbal.
o Developing positive working relationships and effective partnerships with other department heads, and department personnel.
o Ability to influence business and technology leadership – at all levels, using facts, industry research/frameworks, and logical thinking.
o Pro-actively make recommendations as issues and opportunities arise
o Demonstrated ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, complex information to others in an understandable way.
- Ability to partner/collaborate with external vendor partners, to integrate third-party products with custom-written code – relay technical requirements, with clear input/output expectations as integration spec, etc.
- Experience building BI reports/dashboards for senior executives, management, leadership and investors/board.
- Absolute mastery in Excel - macros, formulae, modeling, regression, and so on.
- Solid analytical and logical reasoning skills.
o Understanding of or familiarity with statistical concepts (e.g., hypothesis testing, regression analysis).
- Rich experience working with SQL in data warehouses, data marts, using relational and columnar databases – MySQL, Snowflake or other.
o Experience with data modeling, design patterns and related principles.
o Understanding of ELT vs ETL pipelines - data capture, mapping, and cleansing phases/steps etc.
- Understanding of modern digital product analytics - web, mobile and wearable analytics (descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive), Crash analytics for mobile apps, A-B testing in digital products etc.
- Understanding of modern marketing and sales analytics - funnel analysis, RFM analysis (recency, frequency, monetary), segmentation, clustering, customer feedback - collection and analysis/synthesis, NPS scores etc.
- Familiarity with retail businesses that run on ‘bodies in buildings’ - customers visiting a brick-and-mortar physical location, combined with digital layers which complement that experience, and leverage data glue to drive customer behavior and repeat visits etc.
- Current or previous experience in Sports, Sports Analytics or Sports Tech, preferably related to Soccer – casual, youth/semi-competitive or professional levels.
- Master’s degree or advanced technical education/training in Data Science or Big Data discipline within computer science or software engineering.
- Awareness about modern cloud databases - no-SQL, document-based, graph databases, etc.
- Understanding of and experience in R or Python - as it is applied to statistical modeling, machine learning, neural networks, and/or computer vision.
o Advanced data structures and algorithms, data modelling.
o Advanced mathematics / linear algebra, graph theory, probability, and statistics.
About our Client:
Founded in 2017 by MLS and European footballer, our client is a soccer-focused and technology-enabled experience company. From skills training and soccer leagues to tech driven games and family focused entertainment experiences.