Child Development Specialist –Night Staff – AGH
- Abilene, TX
The Child Development Specialist meets all basic needs of the kids and adolescents in care and ensures treatment plans are met.
Duties and responsibilities
- Keep Kids Safe!
- · Read and follow the company Employee Handbook.
- Performing rounds and safety checks throughout the duration of the shift.
- Attend staff meetings, conferences, workshops, seminars, and any other programs that assure the completion of the required annual training hours.
- Implement company Philosophy and all training received.
- Stay up-to-date on company policies and procedures and licensing standards and interpret them to kids as necessary.
- Know which kids you are responsible for supervising.
- Actively participate in the treatment program of the kids with guidance and assistance of the treatment team.
- Complete daily progress notes on each kid.
- Be aware of kids’ habits, interests, and any special needs.
- Provide a safe environment.
- Cultivate developmentally appropriate independence in kids through planned but flexible program activities.
- Positively reinforce kids’ efforts and accomplishments.
- Ensure continuity of care for kids by sharing with incoming caregiver’s information about each kid’s activities during the previous shift and any verbal or written instructions by the parent or other professionals.
- Be aware of and accountable for each kid’s on-going activity.
- Assist kids when they go on a visit or in making phone calls.
- Listen to the kids and help them work through problems.
- Assist kids with personal hygiene, obtain supplies as needed for kids, report condition of kids, and keep written records as necessary.
- Administer psychotropic medication and over the counter medications and treatment as prescribed or recommended by the kid’s physician. Keep written records of all medications. Must complete Medication Training before administering psychotropic medication.
- Keep order in the dining room and supervise table manners, cleanliness, etc.
- Assist kids in making their beds, changing linens, clearing rooms, and adding to the attractiveness of their living area.
- Check and report needs of living areas and all kids’ buildings for safety, health, fire or disaster hazards.
- Transport kids to hospital, clinics, office appointments, school, recreational, and social activities both on and off campus.
- Assist kids with care of their clothing and keep kids’ clothing and personal property properly marked.
- Assist kids with all their meetings.
- Provide the level of supervision necessary to ensure each kid’s safety and well-being, including auditory and/or visual awareness of each kid’s on-going activity as appropriate, including close supervision for a specific kid or providing direct observation for a kid who may be at risk of harming themselves or others.
- Be able to intervene when necessary to ensure each kid’s safety.
- In deciding how closely to supervise a kid, the caregiver must take into account:
- The kid’s age.
- The kid’s individual differences and abilities.
- The indoor and outdoor layout of the operation.
- Surrounding circumstances, hazards, and risks.
- The kid’s physical, mental, emotional, and social needs.
- If you take a kid on overnight visits to your house, you must see that they are properly fed, ledged, supervised, and their health, safety, and well-being is protected. You must know how to obtain emergency medical care. Must have written permission from the caseworker before this visit.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Team Leader
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age unless otherwise approved;
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED);
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills;
- Possess extensive prior experience that demonstrates their cognitive ability to assist the kid in difficult, crisis and demanding times;
- Applicants must have insight and understanding of cultural diversity and have the ability to work with diverse populations;
- Be able to perform conflict resolution or crisis intervention;
- Applicants must pass a criminal background check, drug screen, and tuberculosis screening; and
- Work under the direct supervision of the Team Leader with a moderate level of discretion and judgment.
Friday, October 7, 2022