Structural Steel Estimator and Project Manager
Responsible for developing cost estimates on routine small to large structural steel projects under direct supervision for construction as required by client’s specifications and documents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Review construction documents and understands scope of work to bid.
• Execute take-offs of construction documents.
• Review contract changes, RFI’s ASI’s, and execute take-offs of all changes to construction documents.
• Review Detailed Shop Drawings for accuracy with contract drawings, including, RFI, ASI, CCD, detailer RFI management and communication with detailer’s team.
• Input take-offs into computer spreadsheet using Excel, Strumis, Bluebeam, etc.
• Obtain pricing for materials.
• Prepares cost analysis in computer by recapitulating material, labor, and all costs associated with including overhead costs incurred in the supply of items related to the material supply.
• Where predetermined standard(s) are not available, makes an estimate.
• Informs immediate supervisor of any observed inaccuracies or omissions in quoted items or computer database.
• Plan, direct, coordinate and budget all activities concerned with the execution of the project
• Monitor and control project through administrative direction of shop superintendent and project team to ensure project is completed on schedule within budget
• Represent company in project meetings and attend strategy meetings
• Purchase material and supplies as needed • Formulate reports concerning such areas as work progress, costs and scheduling.
• Work with President to manage financial aspects of contracts to protect company’s interest and simultaneously maintain good relationship with the customer.
• Communicate with Customer regarding schedules, outstanding cost impacts, RFI’s, contract review and all other required aspects associated with project.
• Develops and maintains resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements, etc.
• Attends departmental meetings as required.
• Customer Service—the individual responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service and maintains confidentiality.
• Oral Communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
• Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar and is able to read and interpret written information.
• Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information.High degree of accuracy is extremely important
• Planning/Organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
• Quality—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent changes, delays or unexpected events.
• Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
• Safety and Security—the individual observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and five to eight years of related experience in the structural steel industry and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.