PLANT METALLURGIST HEAT TREAT
• Improve process understanding of heat treatment and metal finishing. This should be both equipment and material related. Develop Shop Floor understanding.
• Implement, improve, trouble shoot precision controlled nitriding and ferritic nitrocarburizing consistent with Customer and AMS specification requirements.
• Identify opportunities based on data analysis. Physically identify opportunities for process performance, data integrity, productivity improvement and energy conservation.
• Stay abreast of emerging technologies. Participate in industry benchmarking.
• Join and influence technical committees as identified. Look for reduction of waste and improvement of value.
• Help plants identify opportunities for improvement. Help them achieve their goals.
• Participate in training functions. This can include process, test methods and analytical understanding.
• Help in new or existing job development. Help understand customer expectations and requirements. Assist getting the job established at the plant. Provide physical assistance to internal and external customers.
• Develop business understanding. Obtain knowledge of what it takes to get parts out the door, and understand pressures of plant personnel. • Perform development, complaint, routine analyses to best of ability utilizing resources at Corporate and Divisional levels.
• Respond as expeditiously as possible while ensuring confidence in the accuracy of information and recommendations to all requests for information and tasks. Demonstrate good judgment on own ability and when to utilize consultation and other resources.
• Generate written reports and procedures concerning activities, functions, systems, and individual circumstances. Document relative information for communication to internal and external customers, and serve as permanent reference and record.
• Establish communication links with external customers and participate in external customer visits onsite.
• Review instructions, specifications, and prints and design robust processes, assist in determining the method of conducting inspection and tests, and sequence of operations.
• Objectively design and execute experiments for problem-solving or process improvement based on sound engineering theory and practice. Obtain statistically valid data and base reviews and conclusions on fact and data.
• React to conditions that may result in non-conforming product. Follow up and report on non-conforming product analysis.
• Execute applicable computer software programs to store, calculate, retrieve, and report analytical, metallurgical, and quality data.
• Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering, or Material Science & Engineering; or equivalent work experience.
• 5+ years direct experience with precision controlled nitriding and ferritic nitrocarburizing experience.
• Must have strong fundamental knowledge of metallurgy and microstructures, with a focus on ferrous alloys.
• Demonstrated familiarity with manufacturing processes and systems.
• A Team Player with strong customer service skills with both internal and external customers.
• Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills.
• Ability to travel and work off shifts when needed.