Senior Data Architect
- Arlington, VA
Senior Data Architect - Remote/Arlington,VA
- Uses acquired understanding of data warehouse environment including data sources, file formats, analytic tools, and software to promptly identify and analyze redesign issues as they arise; serves as the lead architect and requirements translator for the data architecture modernization project.
- Works collaboratively with MIS Services, Data/Marketing Services, MIS Programs and Systems staff as well as external vendors and consultants to analyze all programming, data processing, file transmission, etc. and other issues that will comprise the requirements of the data architecture modernization project; works collaboratively with all stakeholders to identify the appropriate architecture solutions that will meet departmental needs and organizational requirements specified in the redesign of client’s data warehouse.
- Assists the Sr. Director, MIS Services in preparing written (monthly) reports for Executive Management regarding the progress of the data architecture modernization project that clearly communicate the strategy and status of the project; Executive report should include (but not be limited to) a project summary, redesign roadmaps, prototypes, project timelines, milestones, requirements, current/future challenges, etc.
- Identifies data warehouse implementation and modernization best practices; researches, drafts and recommends new data standards, technology conventions, and technical process improvements; provides input on data governance practices and standards.
- Works collaboratively with software vendors to monitor the availability of updates, new releases and significant notices and informs management in a timely fashion; provides ongoing guidance regarding the applicability and implications of updates and new releases for client’s architecture.
- Supports the current architecture by performing programming projects and tasks in accordance with established procedures using appropriate programming languages and tools; has primary and backup responsibility for promptly resolving programming issues for assigned states.
- Uses understanding of programming and data structures along with appropriate languages and tools to resolve complex data file, script, failure, and processing issues; conceives, designs, prototypes, and tests new methods, processes, etc.; makes recommendations for process improvements.
- Designs and writes scripts to process data files and automate, tune, and/or streamline programming processes; writes scripts for ETL processes designed to transform raw staged state data and load it into the association’s data warehouse; analyzes and resolves data, file, process, software defect, and other failures; participates in code reviews; ensures his/her programs, shell scripts, coding, etc. are properly documented in the software development library.
- Attends trainings, conferences and other meetings as requested; completes data, technical and performs special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, software engineering, or related technical discipline and a minimum of seven years of directly relevant experience are required. Ten years of experience as a senior or principal data architect in an Informix, Oracle or other database environment may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Must have proven experience leading data architecture modernization or cloud architecture design projects. Technical project management experience is strongly preferred. Relevant technical certifications highly desirable.
- A minimum of seven years’ experience in a UNIX or Linux environment programming at the command line interface (CLI) is required. Seven years of experience using SQL or other directly relevant programming language to resolve complex data and programming problems and a minimum of five years’ experience with ETL tools is required.
- Database redesign or cloud architecture experience must include the following: strong proof of concept (POC) skills, advanced proficiency in prototype creation/development, architecture pilots, restructuring, optimization, automation, reporting, coding, testing, etc.
- Experience with model building using Dimensional Insights Pro Diver or similar BI tool from conceptualization to data model development is strongly preferred. Recent software development experience using Python or Java is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated, hands-on experience developing, maintaining, and communicating data architecture standards, best practices and conventions is essential.
- Excellent analytical, written, verbal and presentation skills are required. Must be able to explain data architecture and programming concepts and problems in ways that can be easily understood by management, non-technical staff, subscribers, members, etc.
- Must be a fast learner who is able to quickly develop a working knowledge of data warehouse environment including data sources, file formats, analytic tools, software, etc. The ability to quickly comprehend, diagnose, and resolve complex data problems associated with large datasets received from multiple sources on a daily basis is essential.
- The ability to work independently without close technical supervision is required. Strong time management, project management and organizational skills are required. Must be able to independently complete high-visibility technical projects requiring resourcefulness and logic.
- Must possess sound judgment and be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills to ensure effective interactions with management, staff, members, subscribers, etc.
Tuesday, October 26, 2021