- Alexandria, VA
Script Writer – Remote/Alexandria, VA
JCDS is seeking a full-time Script Writer with demonstrated experience drafting audio and video content that articulates, interprets and explains complex and potentially controversial research findings and initiatives. The ideal candidate will also have experience developing scripts that are centered around a variety of science-related concepts and ideas.
Among his/her chief responsibilities, this individual will be responsible for developing scripts in a variety of styles and for numerous platforms. Specific target audiences could range from students and members of the general public to scientists and government officials at all levels.
To be successful in this position, the Script Writer will need to demonstrate a proven capability to translate technical and highly complex subject matters into easily digestible narratives. He/she should be comfortable gathering, developing and checking the accuracy of information against key insights gathered from interviews with subject matter experts and program officers.
- 3-5 years of experience distilling complex and/or technical subjects into plain language for a diverse range of audiences.
- At least 2 years developing content in either the health or science fields (preferred).
- Proven capability developing scripts for video and audio content for a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrative experience supporting cabinet-level federal agencies and/or creating audio and video scripts for c-suite leaders.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, English or a related field.
- Ability to work onsite in Alexandria, VA as needed by client.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a public trust clearance.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Gather, analyze, fact check and interpret data from various sources in order to make informed and research-driven content decisions.
- Interview subject matter experts and program officers to collect critical information for message development.
- Write, review and edit content in compliance with AP style, the Plain Language Act and other federal content guidelines.
- Create scripts on a variety of science-related topics that may be presented for students, researchers, industry personnel, NSF, staff members, government officials, members of the general public and more.
- Review and fact-check documents for stylistic, formatting and editorial consistency goals.
- Assist with corporate new business development writing needs.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Technical writing experience within science-related domains.
- Proven ability to create audio and video scripts for federal agency leaders and/or c-suite clients.
- Demonstrative background in translating research and data findings into concrete deliverables.
- Strong organization, time-management, creativity and problem-solving skills.
Tuesday, November 17, 2020