- Arlington, VA
Sr. SQL Developer
Our client has an immediate vacancy for an experienced Sr. SQL Developer with expert SQL, shell scripting, UNIX, and advanced programming skills within the MIS Services department. The individual hired for this position will serve as a Senior staff member within a team of Programmers to ensure that the data processing system continuously processes data files from multiple sources. The Sr. SQL Developer/Database Programmer reports to the Director, MIS Services.
Under the supervision of the Director, MIS Services, the Sr. SQL Developer/DBA performs the following duties:
- Completes broad range of advanced programming projects and complex shell scripting tasks in accordance with established procedures using appropriate programming languages; designs and writes scripts to load, automate, connect, tune, or streamline programming processes for a variety of different types of data files.
- Independently analyzes data, file and process failures; modifies shell scripts to resolve data file errors; identifies and corrects software defects; tests coding solutions through to completion; tests software upgrades as new features and functionality are added.
- Independently develops technical specifications; tests, debugs and modifies computer programs to meet data processing standards; produces logical, high quality, well documented code that ensures the functionality, integrity and performance of scripts, programs, automated processes, batch, and data files.
- Assists the MIS Services Team Leads by regularly performing code reviews to verify the efficiency, integrity and accuracy of coding; ensures that all programs, shell scripts, coding, etc. is properly documented in the department’s software development library.
- Uses advanced programming knowledge and expertise to independently resolve complex data file and software issues; Resolves data file and/or programming issues using UNIX shell scripting or SQL programming in an Informix database hosted in a UNIX environment.
- Assists the Director, MIS Services by overseeing technical projects such as software and database upgrades; Documents changes to new and existing software; Performs special projects; Participates in training seminars and documents procedures as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related technical discipline and a minimum of ten (15) years of SQL programming and UNIX shell scripting experience are required. Equivalent experience may be substituted for the degree requirement. Supervisory and/or management experience a plus.
- A minimum of 15 years of advanced programming/software development experience using SQL, Python, AWK, or PERL in a UNIX environment is required. Recent experience must demonstrate expert knowledge of SQL programming and shell scripting in a UNIX environment.
Experience troubleshooting, fine tuning, and optimizing in Oracle or Informix databases and data warehousing experience are a plus.
- Must have recent experience writing advanced UNIX shell scripts at the command prompt using commands and/or functions that will automate and schedule tasks. Must have in-depth experience using functions and various commands in shell scripting. Indepth experience processing flat files, data loading, etc. is required.
- Must have recent experience creating and maintaining database objects like tables, indexes, etc. Expertise with stored procedures, constraints, joins, keys, indexes, data import/export, triggers, cursors, etc. is required.
- Recent, in-depth experience with tools such as MySQL, PSQL, GREP, Unix Cron, SED,
GUI, Ace, Perform, ISQL, XML, etc. is required. Experience with tools such as Red Brick, EDI, VI Scripting, ETL, Motif, etc. highly desirable.
- The ability to independently solve a variety of programming problems of increasing complexity with minimal technical or managerial supervision is essential. Must be able to follow, understand, and analyze the intricacies of complex shell scripting logic in writing programs.
- Must be a fast, capable learner who can quickly apply expert technical knowledge and experience in a new programming environment. The ability to quickly analyze, diagnose and resolve data problems associated with large datasets received from multiple sources on an ongoing basis is essential.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision, manage multiple programming assignments, and consistently meet project and task deadlines.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects, and possess excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills to ensure effective interactions with management, staff, members, subscribers, etc. Must be able to explain data problems and concepts in ways that can be easily understood by management, non-technical staff, subscribers, members, etc.
- Must possess sound judgment and excellent analytical skills. Must be resourceful and able to quickly learn systems and datasets. The ability to implement new tools and technologies without creating new database errors or problems is essential.
- Project management experience is highly desirable.
Thursday, February 27, 2020