AWS/Cloud Data Engineer
- Washington, DC
AWS/Cloud Data Engineer – Remote/DC
JCDS has a need for a Cloud Data Engineer to work closely with a federal client and their data program team to develop tools and infrastructure for data processing use cases. This position offers a great opportunity to be part of a high-performing team responsible for supporting a high-velocity data-driven environment. If you are interested in a challenge and a great working environment, apply today!
The specific duties include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Design and implement data infrastructure, data pipelines, and data products in cloud environments with a focus on Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Write Cloudformation code to deploy AWS resources using automated tools such as Jenkins, AWS CodeBuild, and/or AWS CodePipeline.
- Provide cloud engineering knowledge to help drive technical and architectural decisions.
- Migrate existing on-premise workloads and applications to the cloud, redesigning as necessary to adapt to cloud-native technologies and an elastic and scalable architecture, taking into account meeting performance requirements and minimizing cost and operational overhead.
- Provide leadership in data and application migration methodologies and techniques.
- Implement cybersecurity controls and best practices in a cloud context and apply privacy and data integrity safeguards.
- Nurture cloud computing expertise internally to drive cloud adoption.
- Advise on mechanics of migrating 100+ TBs of data into the cloud and facilitating access to disparate sets of user applications in a diverse range of environments.
- Adapt database workloads and infrastructure to a cloud setting.
- Develop strategy for regular, automated intake and processing of data via pipelines developed using cloud technologies such as AWS Lambda, Step Functions, and/or open source tools such as Apache Airflow.
- Analyze performance of cloud implementations, develop monitoring strategies, and ensure acceptable throughput and interoperability metrics.
- Document strategies, guiding principles, and best practices to drive standardization
- Apply expertise in using a Linux environment in the cloud to run custom and third-party applications
- Use agile methodologies and DevOps best practices, and maintain code and documentation in both enterprise and public GitHub repositories.
- Advise on the architecture and setup of an Enterprise Data Lake, Data Warehouse(s), and Data Hubs.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust background check.
- BA/BS in Communications, Information Technology, or a related field.
- 3+ years of specialized experience in the following areas:
- Migrating from local server environments to AWS, including movement of large amounts of data.
- Working with compliance teams such as Cybersecurity to ensure design meets security requirements.
- Monitoring and performance tuning cloud workloads.
- Designing and implementing cloud architectures including infrastructure components and shared service migration strategies.
- Advocating for the technical merits and value proposition of cloud computing.
- Data engineering work with a focus on AWS cloud services.
- Hands-on development experience with Amazon Redshift, RDS, Apache Spark, Elasticsearch or other data services technologies in the AWS space.
- Sharing knowledge and awareness of alternative cloud environments and services.
- Demonstrating excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
- Determining and prioritizing work tasks, including identifying and proposing new work.
- Meeting deadlines in an organized manner.
- Documenting and recommending best practices and articulating process improvements and required changes.
- Demonstrating excellent communication skills and ability to work with customers, and other technical teams.
- Working with Linux-based server environments.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of the data management
Location: Washington, DC (Due to COVID-19, on-site client work has been suspended until further notice)
Wednesday, September 1, 2021