Mechanical Design Engineer
Welcome (Malone Group UK - Engineering)
- Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Established in 1999 Malone Group works with leading international brands to design, manage and deliver high value, business critical projects.
We have the management, technical and safety expertise to derive value for your business and protect your operations by ensuring projects are delivered safely and efficiently.
From locations in Ireland, the UK, Canada and Bulgaria we have the capabilities to provide project lifecycle support for capital investment and operational initiatives.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will be a key role within the UK business, working within the Engineering Department to manage and deliver projects and manage key customers. The position requires a broad knowledge of, and experience in the range of technical roles and responsibilities carried out by this department. The individual will be involved in multi-faceted projects involving change management, building compliance, mechanical design, space management and advising on more efficient energy management.
Reports to: Project Manager
Key relationships: Managing Director (UK), Head of Operations UK, Engineering Department, CAD Department
- Responsibility for managing key projects in their entirety and be required to manage relevant commercial, technical, resourcing and quality aspects of these projects
- Management of key relationships with our customers
- Responsible for ensuring all mechanical designs are reviewed and approved prior to issuing
- Defining project scope, including budgets, to ensure projects are fully developed at concept stage
- Lead design and collaborate with other disciplines to create a construction set of documents and work with regional vendors and manufacturers to specify the appropriate Mechanical equipment
- Lead design of utility and building services systems, (HVAC, Air, Gas, Steam, Water) including surveys where required, to meet the operational requirements of our customer’s objectives
- Lead design & development of mechanical schematics, process & instrumentation drawings, assembly drawings and bill of materials
- Lead design of sustainable solutions incorporating renewable technologies where required
- Input and support the electrical design development on projects including being lead at project meetings
- Lead peer, technical and design reviews on projects both in the UK and across the Group
- Lead the reviewing and approving equipment submittals for all mechanical aspects of design
- Overview technical support for information requests prior to, and during construction phases
- Overseeing the installation of projects on Customer sites, to include all elements of Quality, Health and Safety and Technical compliance
- Working with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of mechanical systems
- Adherence and monitoring of project programmes to include regular progress tracking
- Point of contact with local utilities to understand and define site utility requirements
- Effective management of all financial and commercial aspects of site related contracts, including variation orders and related customer/sub-contractor negotiations. Ensure that all equipment and contracts are correctly specified and ordered for delivery at the required time, negotiating best cost and terms of payment for all purchased goods
- Implement Malone Group approach and culture in terms of internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to the operational management of the UK business within Malone Group.
- Manage resources to ensure tasks are allocated and achieved in accordance with project requirements and in line with our values, quality standards and business objectives
- Managing resources required to implement projects.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering essential with a minimum 3 years’ post qualification experience
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations.
- Working with multiple mechanical software including- Autocad, IES, REVIT, etc
- Possess leadership and problem-solving skills
- Be a motivated, highly dependable individual with solid communication skills, attention to detail, and an ability to maintain high quality standards
- Demonstrate leadership qualities to maintain relationships with internal and external customers. Ability to quickly identify and remove roadblocks
- Proactively organises and plans ahead to ensure optimum resource allocation and project timelines are met
- Ability to manage new design concepts through exploration, development and into deployment/construction
- Ability to manage multiple projects of different scale and complexity at any one time
- An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality, reliability or maintainability
- Enjoys solving problems, interacting with customers, suppliers and contractors and eager to maintain strong constructive relationships
- Familiar with and experience in using electronic document and drawing management systems.
- Good working knowledge of BIM systems