Hardscape Team Leader - Dayton, OH
- Dayton, OH
The Hardscape Team Leader is an experienced hardscaper who implements design plans for commercial and residential customers. The Hardscape Team Leader is responsible for training and supervising one or more team members, while also performing a variety of hardscaping duties. The Hardscape Team Leader regularly communicates with Team Leaders and coworkers, and with project managers, client representatives, homeowners, subcontractors, vendors, and property managers.
This position reports to the Group Leader (Construction) and supervises approximately 2-3 team members that can include Team Members, a Team Leader Entrant (TLE), and a Hardscape Technician.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of one year of experience in the hardscape field
- Understanding of maintenance requirements related to hardscape, low voltage lighting, water features, and irrigation systems
- Ability to read and understand blueprints
- Ability to read and write (in English)
- Ability and willingness to work weekend hours
- Ability and willingness to work overtime hours when needed
- Good communication and training skills; ability to provide direction to and motivate team members
- Good organizational, planning, and time management skills
- Problem solving skills and an eye for detail related to hardscaping
- Basic computer skills
- Prior supervisory experience, preferably in a service-oriented environment that involved route and outdoor work
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Required Licenses and Certifications
- CPR and first-aid certifications
- Valid Ohio Class A Commercial Driver’s License that is not currently suspended or revoked (driving record must meet the insurance carrier’s policy requirements and Grunder Landscaping Co. driving standards)
- Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute (ICPI) Certification or related industry certification
Position Duties and Functions
- At all times set the tone for team leadership consistent with Grunder Landscaping Co.’s values, mission, and philosophy. Set an example for team members of a strong and positive work ethic, a safety mindset, efficiency, and a positive attitude.
- Provide direction to, train, and monitor the work of assigned team members. Ensure all daily tasks are completed on schedule and according to quality standards.
- When necessary, mentor, coach, and discipline assigned team members.
- Ensure team members are aware of and abide by company policies, processes, and procedures, including, but not limited to, standard operating procedures (SOPs), safety protocols, and company policies, such as dress and grooming requirements, smoking policies, electronics usage, and Grunder’s Code of Conduct.
- Plan jobs and ensure that the necessary resources and materials are available in sufficient quantities and that time is managed efficiently. Ensure that all jobs are completed on time without exceeding the budgeted job production hours.
- Maintain and monitor all work environments and assigned equipment. Immediately report any damaged, broken, missing, or malfunctioning equipment and/or any safety concerns to the Group Leader and/or Mechanic.
- Prior to starting a job, ensure that the job site and equipment are clean and that the work can be performed safely.
- Routinely interact with clients by introducing team members at the beginning of a job, answering questions, responding to client requests, making reasonable adjustments to the plan, and performing a walk-through with the client when the job is completed.
- Perform thorough assessments of job quality for all landscaping jobs to ensure that the company’s quality standards and required procedures are/were met or exceeded.
- Evaluate hardscaping needs at each job site and make recommendations to supervisors for possible or necessary changes or improvements to accounts.
- Give thorough, accurate, and timely briefings to supervisors regarding personnel or client issues. Report any violations of company policies, safety protocols, or SOPs to the Group Leader as soon as possible. Proactively provide information whenever possible in order to resolve issues early-on.
- Keep the Group Leader apprised of the job status, labor or material needs, obstacles, etc.; seek the Group Leader’s help as needed to ensure landscaping plan results are achieved within the allotted timeframe.
- Complete timesheets, work orders, change orders, material requisitions, client tickets, and all other required forms, reports, and paperwork.
- Drive the company truck (with or without a trailer) daily to job sites to transport team members, materials, and equipment. Coordinate the unloading and loading of materials and equipment at each job site.
- Identify potential Team Leaders among the team and help develop subordinates’ talent as needed.
- Read hardscaping blueprints, review hardscaping plans with the designer, and implement the hardscape construction plan according to specifications.
- Apply chemicals if licensed to do so, or under the direction of a licensed commercial applicator.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Frequent contact with team members, coworkers, and clients. The majority of the work (80-90%) is performed outdoors with constant exposure to environmental and weather elements including, but not limited to, heat, cold, rain, wind, snow, grasses, dirt, bugs, plants, trees, shrubs, flowers, dust, and pollen. Work is performed in close proximity to machinery and loud noises. Frequent exposure to fertilizers, fumes, and lawncare chemicals. Work involves daily travel to and from job sites and operating a motor vehicle (with or without a trailer) on public roadways.
This position requires the ability to work full-time (five days per week, minimum of eight hours per day) with extended workdays and weekend work during the season, at times with little or no advanced notice.
Must possess ability to efficiently and safely operate a variety of mechanical equipment and hand/power tools, including, but not limited to, Kubota articulating loader, skid steers, mini skid steers, mini excavator, string trimmers, bed edgers, rototillers, gas-powered sheers, plant augers, chainsaws, backpack blowers, and small, medium- and large-duty trucks with manual or automatic transmissions and truck and trailer combinations. Must be able to efficiently operate computers, cell phones, and related office devices.
Thursday, August 12, 2021
$20/hr - $27/hr