Director Sales (Mass/Conventional) - Beverage
Orchid Holistic Search
- REMOTE, CA
Company & Opportunity
Ojai, CA based start-up in the sparkling beverage space.The company is poised for success; well-funded with a strong network of industry consultants preparing for upcoming launch. The Director of Sales is responsible for leading effective execution of strategic growth plans for opening doors in the Conventional and Mass Retail Channels. Currently, the role is complimented by a counterpart; Director of Sales, Natural Channel.
VP Sales Job Description
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Builds, maintains, and manages high performance broker and internal sales organization.
- Provides leadership to broker team and organization through effective and clear objective-setting, inspiration, monitoring, and communication.
- Drives share of mind with DSD distributors inclusive of route-rides, presentations and other “face-time” opportunities with distributor management and reps.
- Held accountable to measurable performance objectives for meeting revenue velocity, and ACV goals, as wells as, promotional and merchandising execution.
- Takes and analytical approach to assessing opportunities and risks. Monitors and analyzes performance metrics and suggests improvements on an on-going basis.
- Owns the sales forecast and provides weekly, monthly and quarterly updates.
- Serves as the leadership face and voice of brand with independent retailers as well as national and regional chains. This includes in-person visits, calls to address any concerns, email communications to address national field opportunities or issues.
- Attends trade and distributor (selling and non-selling) shows.
- Negotiates contracts, developing personal relationships with important field accounts and ensuring a “top to top” connection.
- Identifies and targets accounts for market penetration, develops strategic approach and drives urgency behind implementation plan. Develops and executes against targets for new customer acquisition in field.
- Creates and optimizes sales programs to drive incremental revenue.
- Manages customer P&Ls to maximize trade spend for highest-volume opportunities.
- Conducts quarterly reviews of sales activity effectiveness.
- Assumes responsibility for the implementation of effective promotion strategies, including post-promo analysis to make adjustments to future plans.
- Work closely with operations and marketing peers to develop best in class programs.
- Stays up-to-date with new product launches and ensures sales team members are enrolled in brand innovation.
Education and/or Experience:
- Successful track record leading sales within a high-growth environment that meets or exceeds sales targets on a year-over-year basis.
- Experienced with DSD and Distribution (KeHe/UNFI) models with a keen understanding of pricing architecture and distributor incentives including: manufacturer charge backs, IOs, co-op programs, etc.
- 10+ years minimum experience selling natural food/beverage in the following channels:
- Conventional Grocery (Kroger, Albertsons/Safeway, etc.)
- Mass/Bigbox (Target, Costco, etc.)
- Start-up experience of interest.
Skills and Attributes:
- Relentlessly focused on creating a high-level strategy & execution of plan.
- Collaborative, open, flexible.
- Thrives in a “do-what-it-takes” start-up environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit; “owns” accountabilities and requires little direction.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- An expert utilizing DSD and distribution (KeHe/UNFI) models.
- Data-driven (SPINS, IRI, etc.) selling experience and ability to understand and analyze sales performance metrics.
- Strong knowledge of Natural & Organic Brands, products, customers, brokers, pricing, and promotion strategies.
- Strong organization and attention to detail, with the ability to effectively implement process.
- Road warrior (80% travel; ability to be in Ojai CA HQ 1-2x/mo).
- Ability to effectively and articulately present information to customers team and board of directors.
- Skilled in negotiation tactics.
- Proficient in interpreting and applying complex sales data.
This is a remote position, ideally based in California. Position requires travel ~ 80% to customers and trade show events as required.
Monday, August 12, 2019