Reports To: Sr Production Manager
FLSA Status: Full Time Hourly Non-Exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be responsible for food safety and report any food safety or quality issues to immediate supervisor (Sr Production Manager).
Must be responsible for producing high quality finished goods to comply with company specification.
Primary Duties Include:
- Supervises and directs activities of assigned shift, ensuring product adheres to Vanns Spices standards of safety, quality, and productivity.
- Maintains effective working relationships with team members through open communication, visibility, and involvement to promote a positive working environment that maximizes safety, employee engagement, quality, productivity, and sustainability.
- Analyzes the production schedule prior to shift start and adjusts team member assignments to meet production targets. Reviews and distributes Internal Work Orders for the products to be made during the shift.
- Responsible for team member coaching and development, employment decisions, & resolving issues through conflict resolution.
-Trains, coaches and reviews performance of team members. Partners with Human Resources and Sr Product ion Manager for recruitment, and coaching to success.
- Inspects raw materials prior to changeovers to ensure correct inventories for production runs. Performs line inspections & first pass quality/first article of inspection checks at the start of the shift and after changeovers to prevent product out of specifications.
- Collaborates with the Maintenance Crew to resolve downtime occurrences on the production lines.
- Completes shift reports for production numbers, downtime, attendance, overtime and quality checks.
- Conducts walkthroughs throughout the shift to ensure safety, quality, and housekeeping compliance by team members.
- Collaborates with plant leadership, peers and co-workers to develop an accident-free safety culture.
- Conducts daily huddles to quickly identify; food safety, personal safety and OEE opportunities.
- Follows, promotes and enforces Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Food Safety Standards. Develops, recommends, and implements measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of shift team members.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
Must know how or be able to learn to operate (set up, run, changeover, and troubleshoot) various pieces of production equipment including, but not limited to:
- Filling Machines
- Form Fill Machine
- Check Weighers
- Metal Detectors
- Excellent mechanical ability and troubleshooting skills
- Good written and oral communication
- Detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task
- Solid basic math skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel and ability to learn other programs easily
- Strong mechanical ability and understanding of packaging/processing equipment.
- Organizational and team leadership abilities
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to work across functions & interact with all levels of the organization
- Advanced skills in MS Office applications
- Strong understanding of Food Safety Systems (GMP, HACCP, BRC or SQF) - Fluent with MRP/ERP or any other inventory and production control systems.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed
- Must be able to work independently with little to no supervision
- Batching supervision/management
- Previous experience in supervising a food production line
- Bi-Lingual preferred (Spanish/English)
Education and Experience:
- High school education or GED
- 5 years’ experience in manufacturing environment as a team leader/supervisor
- Previous experience in coaching and supervising a production team
- Previous experience in supervising a food production line preferred
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Must be capable of performing the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, feeling and repetitive motions. Must be able to stand on concrete floor for up to 10 hours. Must be able to wear hair-net, basic respirator mask, and latex gloves.
Working Conditions: Environment can be dusty with spices and be filled with strong odors. Some allergens are present including but not limited to wheat, soy, dairy, and latex Backup: In absence, Sr Production Manager