Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center
- Seattle, WA
The Hutch Data Commonwealth (HDC) represents a new organization within the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center with a mission to develop new capabilities and resources to facilitate the center’s interaction with large and complex data sets. HDC data and software engineers develop robust resources for the management and analysis of data in support of both local and extramural research activities. The HDC also serves as a nexus within Fred Hutch for data-centered partnerships with technology companies and academic organizations.
Fred Hutch’s Scientific Computing team is looking for a Hybrid Cloud Architect to join our team. Your work will assist hundreds of investigators and their research staff to meet our goal of curing cancer by 2025.
You will join a small team that builds, deploys and supports research focused, IT solutions used by the Hutch community. This community includes grant funded Data Scientists, Computational Biologists and the Hutch Data Commonwealth, a multi-disciplinary team on a mission to empower Fred Hutch researchers with innovative data science tools and infrastructure capabilities to accelerate their research.
As a Cloud Architect at HDC you will:
- Architect a cloud-based solution in the Hutch Data Commonwealth
- Review Cloud architectures proposed by other teams
- Assist researchers with building and improving cloud based computational pipelines using multiple tools.
- Drive solutions used by researchers in dynamic fields such as Machine Learning
- Evangelize new cloud-based platform services that increase computational productivity
- Ensure that we get maximum computational power for our money by intelligently using cloud options such as AWS spot market and preemptable VMs in GCP
- Evangelize the benefits of modern Object Storage systems and migrate workflows away from Posix file system dependencies to cloud-native using docker based workflows and object storage
- Take ownership of our DevOps infrastructure (Github, CircleCI, Rancher, Kubernetes)
- Site Reliability Engineering tasks using modern tools such as Prometheus and proactive log analysis.
- Provide end user consulting through weekly office hours
- Contribute documentation using Github markdown to http://sciwiki.fredhutch.org, our new hub for customer-facing documentation
- Conduct cloud computing training under the umbrella of http://www.fredhutch.io
- Provide architectural input to a cross-functional cloud architecture team and build relationships with other IT professionals at Fred Hutch and educate them about Scientific Computing
Our Ideal Cloud Architect with have:
- A minimum of 5 years working with Linux
- A minimum of 3 years Python
- Extensive experience using Docker
- Deep knowledge of AWS and Google cloud services and their APIs (e.g. boto/boto3)
- Demonstrated experience with cloud-native technologies such as Kubernetes
- Familiarity with infrastructure as code concepts (terraform, cloud formation)
And here are some other skills that make you shine
- Experience with compute pipeline tools that allow users to increase their productivity (see examples at https://github.com/pditommaso/awesome-pipeline )
- Experience deploying applications with modern CI-CD tools (e.g Circle CI)
- Experience in troubleshooting performance of Linux based computing environments
- Experience using configuration management and/or automation systems such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, cfengine, or Salt
- Experience in writing web based tools used to manage operations. (e.g. Flask)
- Experience working with other virtualization technologies such as Docker, LXC, Singularity or KVM
- Knowledge of R, Matlab, and Galaxy experience is a plus.
- Experience with bioinformatics / genomics tools (e.g. BWA, Bowtie, STAR, GATK, samtools, bcftools) a plus
- Previous experience in a research or educational setting is a plus
- A better work-life balance than you find in many other places in Seattle (believe us!)
- 403(b)Retirement savings plan with 7% matching
- On-site daycare through Hutch Kids, based on availability
- Competitive salary, depending on experience.
- 12 days annual leave + 1 day after every year
- Twelve paid holidays annually
- Excellent medical, dental and vision plans
- Subsidized health insurance for family members and domestic partners
- On-site employee health clinic including PT
Friday, April 26, 2019