D5 LE2 - Advanced System Development Engineer
- Pittsfield, MA
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran
Bachelor's degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense SECRET security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for an Advanced System Development Engineer in support of the Fleet Ballistic Missile D5 Missile Life Extension Program (2). The selected individual will engage and contribute to a customer sponsored multi-contractor/multi-customer Integrated System Engineering Group developing the CON-OPS, Requirements, and Architecture of the Strategic Weapon System and Fire Control Subsystem associated with the D5 Missile Life Extension program. The individual selected will have strong skills and experience in the areas of Mission definition, CON-OPS development, design trade studies, and developing functional and physical architecture solutions and alternatives. Skills and experience in the use of Model Based Systems Engineering Methods (e.g Sys-ML based models and executable simulations) are needed to perform this role.
This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Applies Model Based Systems Engineering methods to develop critical mission requirements, system CON-OPS, technical requirements, system architecture and subsystem design.
- Performs requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis, system design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test (verification), validation and interface definition studies of system, subsystem or system elements with minimal supervision of the lead systems engineer
- Performs technical planning, cost and risk analyses, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for subsystems and system elements
- Performs customer requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (subsystem, elements and components)
- Performs detailed technical analyses for a system, subsystem or system elements
- Develops and evaluates systems, networks and information systems to ensure designs meet applicable governmental security specifications
- May provide system accreditation/certification evaluation and test support to ensure all technical security features (e.g., identification, authentication, access control, labeling, and auditing) of the system are considered and function properly
- May develop system security documentation on both new and fielded information systems
- Contributes to detailed technical analyses at the system of system (SOS) level
- Synthesizes solutions to meet customer expectations and technical performance while staying within schedule and cost constraints
- Leads Modeling and Simulation activities
- Researches and analyzes data, such as vendor products, COTS components, GFE/CFE, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- Supports the generation of technical engineering products by using the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle
- Researches, designs, and develops systems, in conjunction with software and hardware product development, applying principles and techniques of systems engineering, modeling and simulation and analysis
- Provides leadership and/or direction to lower level employees
- Participates in or leads SOW generation for subcontracts
- Exercises latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments
- Guides the successful completion of major programs and projects
- Plans and executes significant project tasks for activities described above
- Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Having wide-ranging experience, uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses
- Frequent contact with managers within and outside of Engineering
- Frequent contact with external customers and associate contractors
- Occasional contact with Business Development
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Domain Knowledge of the Trident D5 Strategic Weapon System is highly preferred.
- Strong use and understanding of systems engineering concepts, principles, and theories
- Strong knowledge of other related disciplines
- Strong proficiency with requirements management & system modeling tools
- Recognizes various architectural patterns and applies them appropriately
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to get buy-in on concepts and ideas
- Creative thinker
- Ability to multi-task
- Effective in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Strong ability to clearly report information relevant to sound systems engineering design
- Strong understanding of basic project leadership principles including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management (CAM), and Statistical Process Controls
Tuesday, April 14, 2020