We are seeking a Senior Vice President of Construction Operations to oversee all aspects of construction for our client. We are looking for qualified applicants who are high-performing, dedicated to the pursuit of excellence, and committed to building a company on the foundation of teamwork. To better understand whether you are a fit for this position, please consider the following crucial information about the company.
About this company
Our company is passionate about building people so that they can become the very best version of themselves. They believe that by helping TEAM members grow and develop, it improves all areas of their lives, including their time at the company.
The success of our company is attributed to our commitment to Culture. It is comprised of our Mission, our Vision, and our Core Values. All these effect what we strive to become, how we operate our business, how we make company decisions, how we treat our partners and serve our clients, and how we develop our people. Our culture determines the quality of our product and the quality of work experience of our TEAM. Clearly understanding our culture and being a passionate champion of it are keys to success in this position.
To become the Trusted Advisor for our Clients and the most sophisticated Contractor in the communities we serve. We will accomplish this with our high-performing TEAMs, processes, efficiencies, and technology; combined with the very best Customer Service (both Internal and External), resulting in superior value added to our projects. One percent better every day in everything we do.
To build high-performance people and TEAMS who serve our customers and communities with projects of exceptional value and quality.
Core Values (TIES)
Teamwork: The combined effort of a group contributing their best personal attributes towards the achievement of a common goal in an atmosphere of open communication and mutual respect.
Integrity: Staying committed to our moral and ethical principles by doing the right thing in every circumstance and interaction to provide high-quality service and excellence.
Excellence: Surpassing ordinary standards and requirements to exceed expectations.
Safety: We do it safely or we don’t do it. There is no compromise.
Code of Conduct
The Senior Vice President of Construction Operations will serve as a role model to many TEAM members across the organization, and will regularly interface with all company Departments. As such, it will be expected that this TEAM member will:
• Live and model Core Values and be a Culture champion
• Conduct oneself as a steward of the company, supporting its growth and furthering the Mission and Vision
• Conduct all business professionally and ethically to serve internal and external customers and increase the company's goodwill and profit.
• Exercise self-control, effectively lead TEAMs, be a TEAM player, be known for their integrity, admit their mistakes and correct them, be a natural self-starter, be courageous, be resilient and persevere in times of stress and uncertainty, be a mentor to their colleagues, be a calming presence for their people, guide their people to excellence, be dependable, be teachable, be decisive, and demonstrate excellent judgment.
The Senior Vice President of Construction Operations (SVPCO) is responsible for all business outcomes of construction Divisions across the company. They provide support, direction, leadership, and accountability to Directors of Construction (DOC). They are responsible for setting the strategic vision and goals for the Department, creating, and fostering an ethical and professional leadership culture, and achieving company growth initiatives. In this role, they will work closely with the President to ensure owner satisfaction and continue to improve profitability and operational effectiveness. They are an innovator and continuous learner who is focused on constant improvement, embracing new technology, and achieving Operational Excellence. They conduct all business professionally and ethically to serve internal and external customers and increase the company's goodwill and profit. They are accountable for both the achievement of agreed-upon goals and outcomes and for the performance and development those who they oversee.
This position will report directly to and collaborate closely with the President. They will directly oversee and partner closely with the Directors of Construction. Additionally, they will collaborate and partner with all Departmental Leadership including Business Development, Preconstruction, Finance, Risk Management, TEAM Talent (HR), and Organizational Development.
The SVPCO has several core areas of accountability which include:
Leadership and People Management
• Develop and monitor the overall organizational structure of the Construction Operations Department; develop staffing recommendations and present them to the President in accordance with personnel needs.
• Ensure the career development for leaders within the Department; establish and maintain a succession plan that ensures qualified successors are being developed or in place for key positions.
• Supervise, coach, and mentor DOCs and support their growth and development through effective recruiting, training, and disciplinary actions.
• Oversee the execution of the company’s People Builder program.
• Develop leaders by delegating responsibility, providing timely performance feedback, and assisting in conflict resolution.
• Establish the TEAM’s focus by developing and communicating goals in support of the greater good that is within Vision and Mission.
Strategic Planning and Financial Responsibilities
• Direct P&L responsibility for all the Operations Divisions.
• Formulate Construction Operations business strategy and develop an annual business plan that includes SMART goals.
• Partner with the President and Director of Finance to ensure quarterly forecasts and annual budgets meet business strategy and goals.
• Review monthly project financial reporting with the DOCs for accuracy and utility in decision-making.
• Support DOCs in their duties to review project budgets and makes strategic recommendations to ensure projects remain on track and within budget.
• Develop key performance indicators and metrics to measure and evaluate critical areas of construction operations.
• Develop plans to execute the company’s quarterly, annual, three-year, and long-term operations goals in a way that supports the company’s Vision, Mission, and Core Values.
• Analyze general economic, business, and financial conditions and their impact on the Construction Operations Divisions.
• Work alongside the President, Finance, and DOCs to identify and realize efficiencies throughout the business model.
• Quality Control
• Partner with the Preconstruction Department to provide accurate and profitable estimating services and to achieve a competitive edge for projects.
• Partner with the Preconstruction Department to ensure budget accuracy and added value to the customer through preconstruction services.
• Provide technical oversight of construction activities to ensure consistent execution, efficient processes, and optimum cost-effectiveness.
• Support DOCs in reviewing the status of projects to ensure standards of success (safety, schedule, profitability, customer relationships) are achieved.
• Review prime construction contracts to understand risk and contractual obligations.
• Partner with the Director of Risk Management and Director of Finance to identify, analyze, mitigate, and report on project risks.
• Partner with DOCs, Risk Management, Safety, and Organizational Development to identify training needs and execute effective training to Construction Operations TEAM members.
• Support the DOCs to ensure performance development, career pathing, and succession is occurring for the Construction Operations TEAM in a way that is consistent with company standards.
Process & Policies
• Establish and enforce policies and guidelines for Construction Operations that achieve operational excellence.
• Review construction operations processes and policies and make recommendations for improvement as required.
• Partner with Accounting and Risk Management to ensure the appropriate insurance policies are in place to support operational risk management.
• Partner with DOCs to stay abreast of changing construction regulations for local jurisdictions and make appropriate recommendations for changes to policies.
• Work with Risk Management and DOCs to stay abreast of pending legal issues and pending litigation.
Business Development & Contracts
• Develop and maintain relationships with key community stakeholders and clients.
• Represent company in local community events, forums, and volunteering to further visibility as a leader in our industry.
• Support Business Development in their efforts to identify opportunities, and prepare and review proposals and presentations.
• Support DOCs in negotiating major contracts with clients, preferred vendors and suppliers, and contractors for maximum cost savings.
Experience & Education
• 15+ years of working experience in executive management and/or leadership positions in the construction or manufacturing industry.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering, or related field or relevant work experience.
• Comprehensive knowledge or willingness to learn the nuances of the construction industry including but not limited to contracts, inspections, materials, standards, ordering, scheduling, budgeting, cost tracking, safety, and pitfall mitigation.
• Preferred construction finance and accounting experience.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and project management software
• Proficiency in, or willingness to learn, Sage, TimberScan, and Procore.
• Extensive experience leading teams and building consensus.
Behavior & Aptitudes
• Must develop a clear understanding of the company mission and values and actively promote them.
• Must exhibit high emotional intelligence.
• Sense of responsibility, accountability, and ownership of duties.
• Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a TEAM.
• Track record of effectively solving complex problems.
• Must work efficiently to meet deadlines and fulfill TEAM needs and customer requirements.
• Proven ability to lead a complex organization and set strategic direction and vision.
• Strong leadership skills with the proven ability to motivate a team and drive productivity and results.
• Excellent presentation, writing, and communication skills with the ability to multi-task and change direction quickly.
• Strong work ethic, proactive, well-organized, detail-oriented, analytical, and professional.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, self-directed, entrepreneurial environment.
• Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must be organized, reliable, punctual, and able to work in a team-oriented atmosphere.
• Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities.
• Ability to take appropriate action with firmness and tact.
• Ability to effectively simplify and communicate complex issues.
• Experience in researching issues, determining clear courses of action, and demonstrating decisiveness.
• Background check
• MVR check
• Drug test
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
• This position is an in-office, permanent, salaried position.
• This position requires routine travel up to and potentially beyond 50% per month; and as needed to meet project and customer requirements.
• This position is seated around 80% of the time.
• Working indoors in an office setting with moderate noise levels and in close proximity to others; frequent interactions with others.
• Working outdoors in heat, cold, wet conditions including extreme weather conditions.
• Walking active construction jobsites that include rough, uneven, and unpaved conditions
Interested in Applying? Awesome! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your resume!