Big 4 Senior Accountant, Technical Accounting
- Philadelphia, PA
- Responsible for maintaining accounts and records in various general and/or cost accounting functions.
- The Senior Accountant of Technical Accounting and Policy will be responsible for technical accounting research related to transactions and new accounting and reporting requirements. The responsibilities include efforts to implement new processes and procedures related to new or updated accounting guidance or disclosure requirements. This role will assist in the administration of the Corporate Policies and Procedures for a global network of entities, manage proposed changes to policies and proactively design and implement solutions to address accounting guidance and mitigate control deficiencies, as well as contribute to the drafting of external reporting in areas of technical accounting. This position reports to the Director of External Reporting.
More specific responsibilities include:
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure the dissemination and consistency of accounting policy globally. Ensure proper publication and review of accounting policy. Publish all final accounting policies and related documentation requirements (including checklists). Ensure that all supporting documentation maintained for each policy area is complete and up to date. Work with regional management to ensure appropriate procedures are maintained by each business unit to support the corporate accounting policy.
- Assist in documentation and review of new transactions to ensure compliance with applicable US GAAP and IFRS regulations.
- Conduct research and document conclusions on specific accounting matters. Assist Director of External Reporting. in researching financial reporting requirements under US GAAP, IFRS, and SEC requirements. Prepare and review new and emerging accounting issues. Liaise with the external reporting team to develop appropriate interim and annual disclosures to comply with these new accounting issues.
- Review procedures performed at all business divisions (where applicable) to ensure consistency in applications company-wide. Develop and implement training programs applied across the Company. Coordinate to administer training programs with employees.
- Participate, as needed, in the integration of any acquisitions and establish accounting policy processes for newly acquired companies.
- Participate in a “deals desk” review of revenue contracts and communicate recognition expectations to the business for existing and potential contracts.
- Draft and review disclosures in US GAAP and IFRS for inclusion in internal and external reporting and presentations.
- Complete special projects as needs arise.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and a CPA are required.
- Approximately 2-4 years of accounting experience; Big 4 public accounting experience preferred.
- Strong technical knowledge of accounting principles, financial disclosure requirements, and techniques, including SEC rules and regulations.
- Extensive experience in the preparation and presentation of financial statements under guidelines established by the SEC, IFRS, and US GAAP, including a solid foundation of the financial statement close processes.
- Familiar with revenue recognition and lease accounting standard preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite including Excel, Word, Outlook, and Powerpoint.
- Strong understanding of an effective and efficient internal control environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with all levels of the organization.
- In addition to the necessary skills and experience to perform the responsibilities outlined above, there are a number of traits that a successful candidate will possess.
- Self-starting personality; ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously; ability to work independently and make decisions.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment.
- Very strong drive, dedication, and work ethic.
- Able to meet tight deadlines on multiple priorities.
- Strong people management and conflict management skills.
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented, process-oriented, control-oriented.
- Highest level of integrity.