Network Design Engineer
Sierra HR Partners (Ponderosa Telephone)
- O Neals, CA, United States
Ponderosa Telephone is one of a small handful of companies in the Central Valley that has been family owned and operated for over 100 years. Today, we are proud to say our Ponderosa family has grown to 80 employees who serve thousands of customers in rural communities throughout our region. Ponderosa is currently accepting applications for a Network Design Engineer to join our dynamic and collaborative team. Under the direction of the Network Design Manager, the Network Design Engineer will have a mastery of the fundamental connectivity and inner workings or the network and is accountable for the research and implementation of network design plans and the monitoring of network facility utilization. The Network Design Engineer is expected to utilize and apply their collective knowledge and experience to solve complex network designs and handle complicated projects in a timely manner.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor and analyze network transport facility utilization, including subscriber carrier transport facilities, fiber transport facilities, data transport facilities, radio transport facilities, and inter-exchange truck facilities.
- Monitor and analyze affiliate company (ISP) server design and utilization, as well as Data transport facilities utilization and augments as required.
- Perform routine COE engineering, cut-over schematics, transmission designs, rearrangement of facility counts, and design of service affecting work orders.
- Ability to design, install, configure, manage, secure, and optimize BGP, OSPF, MPLS, RIP, Static Routing, EIGRP, and Cisco IOS.
- Knowledge and understanding of OSI protocol stack, LAN/WAN protocols, VLANS, router operating systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of Fiber Optic transport systems including DWDM.
- Experience in developing and implementing TCP/IP networks.
- Research information for FCC/State Utility Commissions/RUS inquiries.
- Identify needs and coordinate relief of exhausting facilities with Senior Engineer – COE and Senior Engineer – Network Planning.
- Inspect projects in progress for compliance within specifications.
- Inspect completed projects and as-built packages.
- Coordinate completion and cut-over work of work orders with Outside Plant, Central Office, and Customer Support personnel.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in electronic engineering, or related field desirable.
- 4 years’ experience as an Associate Network Design Engineer, systems planner, or similar position.
- Computer literate with an emphasis on Microsoft Office and functional knowledge of CAD/GIS systems software.
- Knowledge of fiber optic transport, fiber to the home, fiber to the curb, cable splicing and assignment for copper and fiber.
- Knowledge of RUS 515 symbols and procedures as well as data and special circuit design parameters.
- Proficiency in reading and preparing engineering and splicing schematics.
- Proficiency in reading and developing as-built prints.
- Conceptual understanding of basic DC and AC electronics.
- Possess and maintain a valid and unrestricted class “C” drivers license with a driving record that provides insurability under the Company’s vehicle insurance carrier and within the guidelines of the Company.
Position offers a competitive salary between $33 - $43 per hour with generous employer paid benefits.
Apply online through Sierra HR Partners. Make telephone inquiries by calling 559.431.8090
An Equal Opportunity Employer