Director of Individual Giving - United Way of Greater Los Angeles
Sterling Search Inc.
- Los Angeles, CA
Sterling Search Inc. has been exclusively retained to recruit for the new Director of Individual Giving for the United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA), UNITED FOR L.A.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is at a critical phase of transformation. In 2007, United Way launched its Creating Pathways out of Poverty Plan which shifted the organization into a mobilizing role around three key pillars of education, housing and economic mobility. The organization created public-private partnerships to reach scale on key policy and programmatic solutions and to mobilize partners from the business community, labor, non-profits, the public sector and individuals throughout the region, with a particular focus on ending homelessness through its Home for Good collective impact initiative.
Some major highlights:
- Creating Pathways out of Poverty:
- Worked with partners to house 40,000 of our neighbors
- Advocated for Close the Gap resolution at LAUSD to ensure that low-income students have added resources to bridge the achievement gap
- Helped 10,000 low-income families to access $11 million in tax credits annually
- Advocated for the passage of Measure H and Proposition HHH to generate $5 billion for housing and services for people experiencing homelessness countywide
- Launched EVERYONE IN, a grassroots campaign to build support for housing at the neighborhood level
- Raised over $150 Million over the past five years for poverty-related initiatives
- Formed new partnership with the Los Angeles Rams to elevate the issues of poverty and homelessness
To meet some of these goals, UWGLA is leveraging its 100th anniversary in 2022, with a $100 million comprehensive campaign which is, in addition to their annual fundraising goal of $50 million. With a more focused approach on the fundraising pillars for direct United Way programming comes the opportunity for a more traditional fundraising approach. In addition to their workplace giving, a new shift and imperative emphasis is now being placed on building a traditional and sustainable robust individual giving program.
The new Director of Individual Giving is a strategic leader and part of the senior fundraising team. He/she will have experience building an Annual Fund, with mechanisms to leverage appropriate donors into a Major Gift program. In the Director of Individual Giving’s first year, the charge will be to focus on building strategy, systems, and accountabilities, as well as developing two team members. By year two the Director of Individual Giving will do both frontline fundraising with an appropriately sized portfolio as well as continuing to manage and further develop the Individual Giving program.
Ultimately, the Individual Giving program will become the driver of sustainable fundraising for UWGLA and be a model for other United Ways across the country. This is a very visible, unique leadership role for a United Way that is a pioneer in change and adapting to the relevance of need in its community.
Under the general direction of the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Individual Giving works closely with the organization's staff and volunteer leadership to identify, develop, cultivate, solicit, and enhance relationships with current and prospective donors that have the capacity to give major gifts (donations of $10,000 or more annually). The Director of Individual Giving manages a team of individual giving, donor affinity group, and major gifts officers and will be responsible annually for the delivery of increased revenue from an existing portfolio of donors and new revenue from a pipeline of moderate to high-net-worth prospects.
- Oversee a portfolio of Individual and Major Gift donors to meet and exceed annual fundraising goals with year-to-year increases in unrestricted giving.
- Strategize and secure large gift solicitations (up to six figures plus) demonstrating sensitivity to the interests and motivations of prospects and donors, as well as a commitment and passion for the mission of United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Oversee renewal solicitations of assigned portfolio of donors.
- Generate written gift solicitation proposals to prospective high net worth donors.
- Conceptualize, develop, and execute effective strategies to practice moves management and increase fundraising results from individual and major gifts donors and prospects (donors who contribute $10,000 or more) to United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Develop customized strategies to identify and cultivate prospects at all times for the purpose of converting them into donors, volunteers, and advocates of United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Collaborate with other Development Department leadership to identify potential leadership giving prospects and enhance philanthropic gift opportunities within companies and the private sector.
- Create and design innovative and inspiring ways to connect with donors who are giving through the corporate employee giving campaigns and migrate them from this channel toward becoming committed United Way donors outside of their places of work.
- Provide leadership and support to cultivate and grow affinity groups including Emerging Leaders, Women United and the Tocqueville Society.
- Create and implement impactful ways to acknowledge and thank donors resulting in continued relationship stewardship and donor best practices.
- Cultivate one-on-one relationships with assigned donors that enhance their connection to the UWGLA mission and creates lifetime loyalty to United Way.
- Develop and implement market segment strategies as required for one-on-one donor relationship building, provide statistical analysis, and market evaluation as needed.
- Provide exceptional customer service and stewardship.
- Participate in the development of new digital platforms and help determine new opportunities using technology that will help connect more individual donors to United Way of Greater Los Angeles and its mission.
- Oversee the close tracking of all key institutional donor and prospect deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s or equivalent advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience raising donations from moderate to high-net worth individuals, while utilizing a variety of giving vehicles.
- Must have successfully managed and developed a team of high-performing professionals; team of 4 or more, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
- Demonstrated success managing relationships with current and prospective moderate to high-net-worth donors, resulting in increased donations of $10,000 or more.
- Must be able to work both independently and as a team member to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse environment.
- Should possess strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to accurately manage and analyze data.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities and demonstrate confidence working with corporate and community leaders.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, Outlook, and PowerPoint is essential; experience using Microsoft CRM or comparable fundraising database software preferred.
Compensation: A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
Please send resumes to: Sterling Search, Inc.
Nicole Seipel - 714-433-7040 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct all correspondence, emails and telephone calls to Sterling Search, Inc.
Any resumes sent or telephone calls made to UWGLA will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Wednesday, December 11, 2019