Lead Engineer, Transmission Planning
- Rochester, NY
Central Maine Power, an Avangrid company, is seeking a Lead Engineer, Transmission Planning to join their team in their Rochester, NY location.
Sign-on bonus available!
$5,000.00 to $10,000.00 sign-on bonus available to external applicant hired
Avangrid is growing! We are actively hiring electrical engineers or all experience levels for our Transmission Planning team. We are flexible with office locations (Connecticut, Maine, and New York), and remote work options may be considered for highly qualified candidates.
- Collaborate, perform, and lead reliability and/or economic driven studies including voltage, thermal, PV, transfer limit, short circuit, and stability assessments.
- Analyze and assess complex transmission systems at numerous voltage levels. Document and communicate results and recommendations as appropriate including data manipulation, report writing, and summary presentations.
- Continually strive to innovate and integrate improvements to increase the precision and efficiency of transmission planning.
- Strive to seek out and develop subject matter expert skills as necessary to mentor and support the team to aid in the advancement of business needs.
- Collaborate and interact with internal teams and industry peers on regional activities (e.g. NPCC, ISO’s, etc.).
- Develop and apply a thorough understanding of various planning criteria, guidelines, standards (e.g. NERC, NPCC, etc.) and analysis software packages such as PSS/E, TARA, and ASPEN.
- Participate in transmission and substation site inspections; attend industry workshops, training, and user group meetings as needs arise.
Behavioral Skills and Requirements
- Utilize knowledge to influence and guide department engineers.
- Provide technical leadership in complex projects that have a wide impact on the department
- Mentor, develop and support team in technical skills
- Ability to collaborate across departments
- Liaison/ direct contractors on company policy, standards and best practices
- Work independently with little supervision
- Develop self & others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
Technical Skills and Requirements
The following skills and associated competency levels are desired of those candidates seeking a position in Transmission Planning. However, offsetting industry and other relevant technical skills will be considered for candidates without previous experience in these Transmission Planning activities (e.g. T&S Engineering, P&C, etc.).
- Theoretical Engineering knowledge: Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Analytics, Modeling & Calculation (e.g. sym. Components, per unit, etc.), Understanding the Business Model
- Practical Engineering Experience/Application: Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Construction, (e.g. field experience, standardization, develop business case and defend in front of stakeholders)
- Engineering documentation: Ability to adequately document and interpret engineering documentation, review and approve engineering work done by others
- Knowledge of Regulatory and Compliance Environment: Local, State and Federal Regulatory Standards and Requirements (NERC, NPCC, ISO, PUC, etc.)
Functional Job Specific Competencies
- Power System Studies - Knowledge & Interpretation of Study Assumptions and Results: (e.g. Power Flow, Stability, Short Circuit, etc.
- Software Proficiency - Power System Analytics: (e.g. PSSE, TARA, ASPEN, Enfuzion)
Education & Experience Requirements
BSEE required with additional consideration given to applicants with Advanced Degrees or Certifications (e.g. MSEE, PE, etc.)
7+ years of experience (Industry Related)
This job has been posted by TalentBoost on behalf of Avangrid. TalentBoost is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of TalentBoost not to discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Monday, May 9, 2022